stalls out

PJohn86

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a question for everyone, i have a newer yardworks 15.5hp wouldn't start, found leaf in fuel tank, cleaned tank and flushed out fuel lines, replaced fuel filter, now fires up but stalls out when full throttle, checked fuel pump was clean, removed carb looked like had dirt in bowl, cleaned carb, and still having problem runs fine at idle or half idle once on full dies in 4 seconds, to i believe its starving of fuel also dies out when i engage the blades.

any other ides

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the carburetor & clean it out.
Check the fuel supply to the carburettor by cranking the engine with the fuel line in a jar
If all is good it should be full size of the fuel line and strong.

PJohn86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did clean carburetor and checked fuel from pump, got lots of fuel when cranking, after the carburetor clean, second time finally got it to run on full throttle, but stalls out when engaging pto, checked bearings on deck all are ok, it’s the neighbours lawn mower, he put a crap e3 plug. Any other suggestions

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stalls out ?
Stops dead like the engine is overloaded or you hit a brick wall
Stops like it is running out of fuel with a couple of surges
stops firing like you have turned the key off and the engine runs down .

It makes a difference as to where we would be looking for problems.

PJohn86

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is true.
Once you engage blades it acts like it is losing spark and dies, i did notice that it slowly was losing battery charge, i found a wiring diagram and found the diode coming down from the voltage regulator was melted and measured 6.3 mega ohms so I believe that is the problem. Your last reply made stop and restart diagnosis.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is good because I have no idea what engine was used in your mower and no idea where to find a circuit diagram .
If you are getting a dead short then that can cause a voltage drop to the fuel solenoid in the carb and this will stop the mower which will sound the same as turning off the key.
This is easy to test by starting the mower & removing the air filter
Get some one to turn on the blades while you puff some short shots of card cleaner or starter fluid down the carb throat.
If the engine responds to the fuel then you know the solenoid is shutting off the fuel supply.
I have a red in line spark tester that get put on the plug and if it stops glowing befoer the engine stops revolving then you have an ignition problem .
It should glow red ( because we can not see the very short individual flashes ) then as the engine slows down then flash a few times till the engine revs fall below cranking speeds.

Last edited:

PJohn86

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I fixed the diode now battery charges well running, but still stalls out, I checked the fuel shut solenoid on the carburetor still has power when stalls and still has spark, checked the carb again did notice o-ring on the main nozzle tube was not sealing replaced it, did notice the governor arm closes then it stalls it’s a tecumseh ov490ea