Stalling when PTO activated

Scagman01a

Threads
New to scags. I have a low hour kohler 27 hp 61 inch deck tiger cat. I started it up today. It should be noted that's is in the high 20s low 30s. I warmed up the engine for a few minutes and activated the PTO. It kept stalling out. Should I leave it warm up longer?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like bad PTO switch or PTO clutch. But try letting run longer to see what happens.

tigercat

Threads
Did you have the engine @ 1/2-3/4 rpm? Otherwise it will stall the engine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I always engage the clutch at max rpms and disengage at a low rpm.

Scagman01a

Threads
It was about half to 3/4 rpm. The manual says not to engage at full rpm. I'm thinking now it may also be the battery. The battery is a few years old and it's been in the cold garage and that PTO draws a bunch of power from the battery. I put a charger on the battery overnight and will try it today.

Scagman01a

Threads
Let it warm up today for five minutes and no problem with it stalling. I guess it was just to cold. While I had it out I cut about 1.5 acres. What a nice machine.

Threads
Let it warm up today for five minutes and no problem with it stalling. I guess it was just to cold. While I had it out I cut about 1.5 acres. What a nice machine.

Dang it you figured it out before I could reply. I have a Bunton with a 23hp Kohler , and its the same way in cold weather. I have to let it warm up for awhile before it will operate right if I pull the pto it will just die out until it warms up good.