ssz 22cv drive travels at about 1/2 speed

jettec117

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled my Skag out of a field when it quit running with out disengaging drive. I have it running again but it travels at about 1/2 speed but engine is running full speed. Do I need to bleed the drive motors or something? feels like belt is fighting hydraulics

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The few times that I have moved a pump and wheel motor type ZTR without its own power I have always opened the dump valves. This is a very important thing to do. When this type ZTR is moved, the wheel motors act like pumps and want to motorize the pumps. When the dump valves are opened, then the hydraulic pressure/flow will bypass the pump and circulate back to the motor as the wheels are turning while being towed.
I'm not sure, but I suspect that the pumps may have been damaged.
There may be another person on this group that may know what has happened and be able to give you some guidance getting your machine back to normal.
Have you checked the oil level in the reservoir?
Mad Mackie in CT

jettec117

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oil is full. I suspected i damaged them too but wanted to hear it from someone who had more Knowledge. Thanks Don

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have an operators manual?
I was just looking thru some manuals on the Scag site and a SSZ 22CV has HydroGear hydrostatic integral drives. Also saw a dump valve lever pictured. Is your dump valve lever behind the the bar in the run position?
Mad Mackie in CT

jettec117

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again Mad Mackie
I have my scag working. Just dumb coincidence. After bleed out pumps which is done by moving the dump valve lever to open, running motor at full speed and moving drive bars back and forth 12 times I noticed worn drive belt. Replaced it and it's working fine Thanks again Don

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's great!!
I recently inspected the drive belt on my machine and it was OK but manual recommends replacement at 400 hour intervals and I'm close to that so I'm going to get one and change it when 400 hours rolls around. Gotta remove the deck drive belt from the clutch to get to the pump belt so I'll replace it also as it has a cut in it.
These ZTRs aren't easy to move when the engine isn't running even with the dump valves open and you already know that!!! Machines like mine have seperate pumps and a wrench is needed to open the two dump valves, I keep a wrench in the tool bag that I installed on the back of the seat!!
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing: