SS4225 Timecutter Electronic Brake

Miaplacidus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a SS4225 and experienced a problem today. My solution may be unsafe, but I would like to get other opinions. The Problem was the electronic brake would not release, and I could not manually rotate the servos to release the brake. I removed the brake, and the linkage from the mower, both sides. I am using it on a fairly level lot and don't think having the brake is a real safety or operational risk for myself. But there are probably some considerations that I have not thought of. What would be your suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replace the brake module or convert it to manual operation with a spring to hole the brake on & a bowden cable to pull the brake off.
Or buy a graqple anchor & some chain.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The brake is a parking brake and is not used during moving or mowing.

Water intrusion is the main problem with units as it corrodes and shorts out the brake module. To repair the brakes electrically requires replacing both the module and wiring harness if the module is bad. And then the new module can short out as first and only one I replaced. I had replaced both items and while the mower was sitting on the repair yard it went bonkers. After 30 minutes it started cycling the brakes and before I could get the tools and disconnect the battery the module went up in smoke.

At first when I came my vendor they tried to blame it on the harness but I had them there as it was new too. The second module repaired the problem. Whew the $100+ module was warrantied.

Personally it one of the dumbest ideas I have seen in a while. Manual setup would have been better.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW ,
I have been plagued by a rebadged Swisher 60 for quite some time
They use the same brake hooked up via cable to the respective lap bars.
So there is the easy solution buy all of the Swisher parts if you are not confident making your own cable set up .
Agree with Star 200% over complicated and obviously a reaction to a damages claim against TORO from a brainless clot

100 td

Threads
I have a Toro MX5060, same brake module I expect, extremely expensive, mine was full of dust when I pulled it apart, got it to function again probably 80 hours ago, is was well worn internally, playing up again, I like the sound of the manual operation of the Swisher 60, will have to look into that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please let us know how you go
This sort of information is what a forum like this really exists for.
Work arounds for bad engineering forced upon us by bad legal decisions