Split apart General Transmission on self-propelled mower

JBtoro

Threads
  • / Split apart General Transmission on self-propelled mower
I have a John Deere walk behind, JS46 (2010-2011). The tranny (rear wheel) is fine now but since this mower is no longer being made, parts are becoming few & far between. I'd like to open up the tranny and check the grease situation & probably clean & re-grease like I do on my Toro's. I have had it out & removed all the torx screws but the case is stuck tight. I have attempted to pry it with a small screwdriver but am afraid if I jam the blade in too hard I will break the case. I guess the maker, General, considers this unit "not serviceable." But why then the screws? Anyone ever split one of these open?

1613405085586.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Unless you are having a problem with it or it is leaking I wouldn't try splitting it.

JBtoro

Threads
Unless you are having a problem with it or it is leaking I wouldn't try splitting it.
Yeah, I think the risk is greater than the reward but just thought I'd ask.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AFAIK there are no service parts available for GT's
I think that was part of the supply deal
No service parts and no complete units in the aftermarket supply chain .
So while it might be of You Tube type interest to split one there is little advantage unless you have some machining skills.

Born2Mow

Threads
Agree with the others.... Think about it. If there's no drain plug, how would you ever re-fill it after opening ?

JBtoro

Threads
Agree with the others.... Think about it. If there's no drain plug, how would you ever re-fill it after opening ?
I suppose one could insert a zerk. As I originally posted , I am dealing with a 10 year old JD, long after JD exited the walk behind market. So, if the tranny fails, I have few options to keep a fine mower propelling. So, even though I am good presently, I am just thinking ahead.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it had to be done easily & cheaply when it was made.
So most likely held so the split line is horizontal then filled to the top of one half.
The trick is to split it over a dish so you can get a rough measure of how much lubricant comes out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well the OP can open it and break or lose a part during the process. What me and others are suggesting is that "Don't attempt to fix something that isn't broken.". It is just asking for problems.