Spindle or pulley is bad can’t tell which one

H man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi i own a hustler raptor 42 inch … I was cutting yesterday and I heard a loud vibrating noise coming from under my deck and then my belt jumped off so I shut the mower down, their is a pulley to the far right right by the discharge that is loose it kinda goes up and down …. I can distinguish if the pulley or spindle is bad ? Any tips

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have a 3 year 300 hour warranty on residential mower. If you have been greasing spindles every maintenance, I would remove deck & inspect all parts for wear.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Mark, You do realize that the Raptor uses sealed bearings and has no spindle grease fittings? 6203-2RS bearings pulley side. I don't find any thing on the lower bearing but might using 6204-2RS bearings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Raise the deck as high as you can .
Put your hand under the deck and find the blade
If the blade goes up & down then one or both of the spindle bearings has collapsed

Usually the right one goes first as the right blade has to shift all of the clippings out the chute + do it's own cutting.
If you paid the extra for a flip up deck model, now you will find out just how much it is really worth.
Flip the deck
If not
Put some 2x4's under the deck, left right to act as rails
Drop the deck on the 2 x 4's unhitch it then slide it out to the right IT IS HEAVY

Flip the deck and check that all of the blade will spin freely & quietly.
They can have a very small amount of up down play but the blade can not rock left right or see saw
Spin all of the other pulleys, they should also spin quietly & smoothly .
Replace any pulleys that are noisy, rough or rock
Spindle bearings get replaced in situ they are all standard bearings , but get them from a real bearing shop not ebay or amazon so you will be guaranteed to get good bearings
THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN $ 5.00 BEARINGS & $ 20.00 but paying $ 20 on Amazon will just cost you more for a $ 5.00 bearing.
Branding on the rubber seal or the box means nothing as bearings are the most counterfitted product on the planet .

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mark, You do realize that the Raptor uses sealed bearings and has no spindle grease fittings? 6203-2RS bearings pulley side. I don't find any thing on the lower bearing but might using 6204-2RS bearings.
Did not know that StarTech, thanks.