spindle bearings, towers, zerks,single seals

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ever since I read that spindles with zerks are to make nervous owners feel good and give them something to do I have wondered...would a mfgr really spend ? $5? to put dummy parts on my Craftsman? The manual clearly calls for regular greasing while ignoring a most important thing- valve adjustment. I have never had my deck apart to look at the spindle bearings, and I have never seen old grease exit in the classic manner , a la the greasable axle spindles. I did a quick search in this forum and did not see wholesale discussion. I did surf a little and did run into a seemingly knolwedgeable thread in another forum.

The discussion talked about a couple interesting items. Without being brand specific the discussion was about "sealed" bearings which expect regular greasing due to their design of HAVING ONLY ONE SIDE OF THE SEAL CONNECTED TO THE BEARING RACES so that fresh grease can pass in and out. This a new one to me. The discussion went on to mention what I will call spindle "tower volume" of grease typically being 15 manual strokes. This is apparently only relevant after bearing replacement or other cleanout. Finally , the usual warning about air powered greaseguns which can blow out seals. The recommendation is 3-4 strokes of a manual grease gun. One neat sounding trick was that if excess amount or pressure is suspected the spring loaded zerk ball can be depressed for pressure relief-see the excess exit while holding down the ball.

I'm going right out and grease my craftsman. :cool: