SPEED AND SPARK TRIMMER TOOLS: DIY

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The new Sears Weedwacker 31 cc 2 stroke would not run at full throttle , right out of the box. Neither was the line head stationary at idle. The old faithful Ryobi 790R had stopped after 10 years.
Was it the coil?

Below are two handy tools made from "floor sweepings" which solved my problems.

The "D" wrench hi speed needle adjustment required was richen (counterclockwise) about 1/2 turn. The "D" wrench lo speed needle adjustment required was almost 1 whole turn clockwise. Now the wacker will idle with no string movement and hit (7000 rpm?) at full throttle.

A fine gentleman on you tube gives us the voltage tester. The failed Ryobi could not spark the gap. The new Sears had no trouble.

With the tire valve tip in the forming die tap gently, it's brass, right! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 58

Mini Motors

Threads
Wow, this was really buried. I only found a link to it in another thread. Probably could have used the search, but I didn't have the name. But I digress.

I had been lured into buying a inexpensive re manufactured Ryobi. It looked nice, and had electric start. But it did have that EPA choked off carb and this one didn't have any "D" shaped screws, instead, they each screw had a single notch on the side. What I did was a bit simpler. I took my Dremel tool, with a ceramic cutting blade and cut a slot across both screws, with small collateral "damage" to the casting around them. Now, a simple screw driver fits it, and since I've richened the mix, it runs like a scared rabbit.

The electric start may still be a bust. The machine was so leaned out, it would run out of a charge before it would start. I haven't had the chance to try it with a full charge since I "fixed" the carb.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, this was really buried. I only found a link to it in another thread. Probably could have used the search, but I didn't have the name. But I digress.

I had been lured into buying a inexpensive re manufactured Ryobi. It looked nice, and had electric start. But it did have that EPA choked off carb and this one didn't have any "D" shaped screws, instead, they each screw had a single notch on the side. What I did was a bit simpler. I took my Dremel tool, with a ceramic cutting blade and cut a slot across both screws, with small collateral "damage" to the casting around them. Now, a simple screw driver fits it, and since I've richened the mix, it runs like a scared rabbit.

The electric start may still be a bust. The machine was so leaned out, it would run out of a charge before it would start. I haven't had the chance to try it with a full charge since I "fixed" the carb.

Glad you could fix the Ryobi. Mine has a really mickey mouse pull starter where you pull about half way and nothing, then the wind-up spring releases. Also they have changed the on-off button to a spring-load always "on." I guess the average consumer finally drove the designers nuts with complaints about starting , especially 2 strokes. Never had the problem. If you can find one get the "quick start" plug with the platinum center electrode. Worth it. Lasts long and helps if you go too rich with the oil mix. The 31cc motor is indeed a tiger.