Robert1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Would like you experts thoughts on this, please:

For the typical home gas powered lawnmower, when tipping it over to
clean out the underside, or chute, is it necessary, or a good idea, to remove
the spark plug wire ?

Was wondering if even when off, moving the blade a little can/might, re-start it ?

Thanks,
Bob

gsim

Threads
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS remove spark plug lead before doing ANYTHING beneath the deck. Some guys have nickname of 'stumpy' or 'lefty' because they did not do so!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have an older unit with no flywheel brake I would agree with gsim. On today’s models with the brake I am 99.9999% sure that you wouldn’t be able to get an engine to fire while it is tipped on its side for cleaning. Myself, I don’t worry about it, but still say for many of the people coming here and asking questions, I would recommend pulling the plug wire.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I go one further & pull the plug right out.
Too many times I have seen a compression kick back.
Not goint to chop off & hand, arm or even finger , just give me an annoyng bruise or little cut which makes woring on dirty mowers a PIA.

128MB

Threads
I have never removed the wire. So far ive always thrusted the killswitch.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't worry about the spark plug wire. the older briggs engines required 600 rpm to fire the plug, the new ones 250-300 rpm so the newer engines would be easier to start that way then the old engines. I have never heard of it actually starting while somebody was working under the deck.