Spark arrestor?

DonCT

Threads
Hi all.

I have a 2007 mower with a Honda GCV160 engine. I replaced the spark plug and air filter this year (both had also been replaced once before).

Looking at the manual, it says to clean the spark arrestor every 100 hours. Is this really necessary and can it be done by a homeowner with average Black & Decker tools/skills? The reason for my question is that the manual is pretty vague about how the arrestor mounts inside the muffler guard, saying only to "remove the two special screws" that hold it in.

Special screws makes me nervous that I'll either break it trying the get it out or I'll get it out and be unable to get it back in.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi all.

I have a 2007 mower with a Honda GCV160 engine. I replaced the spark plug and air filter this year (both had also been replaced once before).

Looking at the manual, it says to clean the spark arrestor every 100 hours. Is this really necessary and can it be done by a homeowner with average Black & Decker tools/skills? The reason for my question is that the manual is pretty vague about how the arrestor mounts inside the muffler guard, saying only to "remove the two special screws" that hold it in.

Special screws makes me nervous that I'll either break it trying the get it out or I'll get it out and be unable to get it back in.

The thing I'd see is if it even has the spark arrestor or not, some do and some don't depending on where the unit was made and sold. Certain parts of the country require them like California. If it has the arrestor it's just a screen under the plate that needs the carbon build up cleaned. the screws shouldn't be anything special just remove them and clean the screen with a small wire brush and put it back together. Shouldn't be a problem.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
"Special Screw" could just be a Torx.

Could be possible but I've never seen those used, Echo and Stihl both use just regular Philips-head screws on there equipment.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be possible but I've never seen those used, Echo and Stihl both use just regular Philips-head screws on there equipment.

My old echo blower needs ellen wrenches. Both my 225 need a torx bit :/

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
My old echo blower needs ellen wrenches. Both my 225 need a torx bit :/

I never ran one of the Echo blowers but my SRM 210 trimmer and PE 200 edger both had Philips-head screws but they are the old gray covered engines. All my Stihl except the Br 380 have Philips-head screws the 380 has a spring clamp that hold the arrestor in.

DonCT

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. In reading my manual again, I see the spark arrestor is listed as "optional." Since I bought my mower at a big box chain store, I'm guessing it doesn't even have one.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the feedback. In reading my manual again, I see the spark arrestor is listed as "optional." Since I bought my mower at a big box chain store, I'm guessing it doesn't even have one.

On the contrary it probably does.. big box stores don't put them together they probably came from the factory in a box with an arrestor in it.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda lawn mowers do NOT come with a spark arrester. A spark arrester is an optional kit you can order from any Honda dealer.

Spark arresters are required on many types of outdoor power equipment (including mowers, generators, etc.) that are used on US National Parks and Federal properties. Spark arresters may be required by law where you live, but I'm not aware of any actual regulations except the US National Parks rule.

If you buy and install the spark arrester, it uses standard hex/Phillips self-tapping screws, nothing fancy to install or remove, and should be inspected and cleaned every 100 hours:

sparkarrester_zpsa838f184.jpg

For most Honda mowers, it's part number 06180-Z0J-000, $38.68 list price; double-check with your dealer and make sure you get the correct one.

sparkarresterpartz_zps2dbd2192.jpg

Finally, all Honda generators do include spark arresters as standard equipment. This is because Honda recognizes that many generator customers will use them to power an RV or when camping, staying in a cabin, etc. and that often happens at a US National Park.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda lawn mowers do NOT come with a spark arrester. A spark arrester is an optional kit you can order from any Honda dealer.

Spark arresters are required on many types of outdoor power equipment (including mowers, generators, etc.) that are used on US National Parks and Federal properties. Spark arresters may be required by law where you live, but I'm not aware of any actual regulations except the US National Parks rule.

If you buy and install the spark arrester, it uses standard hex/Phillips self-tapping screws, nothing fancy to install or remove, and should be inspected and cleaned every 100 hours:

sparkarrester_zpsa838f184.jpg

For most Honda mowers, it's part number 06180-Z0J-000, $38.68 list price; double-check with your dealer and make sure you get the correct one.

sparkarresterpartz_zps2dbd2192.jpg

Finally, all Honda generators do include spark arresters as standard equipment. This is because Honda recognizes that many generator customers will use them to power an RV or when camping, staying in a cabin, etc. and that often happens at a US National Park.
Robert,

I hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking this thread....but I've got a question about Honda generators. I have a travel trailer with a 30amp service(A/C-heat pump, refrigerator, microwave, etc. and usually camp with my DirecTV HD dish and 32" HDTV). I have been considering getting a portable generator for 'primitive camping" and don't really know how to determine buying the right one. There are a LOT of brands now, but I tend to lean towards the Honda brand because they've been making them longer and the Honda small engines are so dependable & long lasting. Can you give me some advice as to which Honda Generator would meet my needs or how to determine the load of my RV(assuming everything is running at the same time). Also, sometimes when we are camping and are connected to a 30amp service at a campsite we tend to blow the breaker at the campsite receptacle and I have to plug the RV into a 30amp female-to-50amp male converter and use the 50amp service to keep the electricity on all the time. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!