Spark Advance Module on Kohler CV16S

JohnRingoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

I have a Kohler CV16S in a early 00's Simplicity Regent. Typical story - mowed well for ~20 minutes until it got hot, then had issues similar to fuel starvation but, after researching and speaking to a mechanic, the issue seems more electrical in nature. Now it won't start at all (no spark, mechanic confirmed). We tested where the mower was getting juice, and the SAM was getting power in when the key was on "Start" and when cranking, but there was no power coming out of the SAM to the coil. Is this an issue of the SAM going bad or is that to be expected?

If I have to replace the SAM, I've seen online that they're no longer made and that newer ignition systems have the SAM built in. Is that correct, and what part would I have to replace to get this job done right?

Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You would be installing 12 707 01-s KIT DSAI, which would be the new module and the wiring to convert to the new system. You would no longer have a SAM.

kucharjf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I am responding to a post from JohnRingoe on June 13 2015 and response from Illionois Engine. I have a similar problem with my SImplicity Regent 2002 Kohler CommandTM CV460S Typical story - mowes well until it gets hot, then breaks up and backfires, I have to keep moving the throttle from fast to full choke to keep it running, once I reduce the load, disengage the PTO, stop moving, she idles and purrs like a kitten. AT first I thought fuel starvation, so I replaced the fuel pump, filter etc. But problem persists. DId JohnRingoe have any luck by installing the part # 12 707 01-s kit DSAI?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your problem sounds like fuel starvation. Problem could be in the carb,

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello, I am responding to a post from JohnRingoe on June 13 2015 and response from Illionois Engine. I have a similar problem with my SImplicity Regent 2002 Kohler CommandTM CV460S Typical story - mowes well until it gets hot, then breaks up and backfires, I have to keep moving the throttle from fast to full choke to keep it running, once I reduce the load, disengage the PTO, stop moving, she idles and purrs like a kitten. AT first I thought fuel starvation, so I replaced the fuel pump, filter etc. But problem persists. DId JohnRingoe have any luck by installing the part # 12 707 01-s kit DSAI?
Sounds more like water in your fuel.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A layer of water in the bottom of the carb.