Solar system kits.

Threads
Does anyone have a grid tie solar panel system? I am looking at a 3500 watt start up kit, and would like to gather any info I can. Like how well does it work? Can it pay for itself, etc? Any info would be appreciated. wjjones

mullins87

Threads
A few years ago I looked into a solar system for my house, not to go off the grid, but only to reduce my overall energy costs. What I found out is that the system I put together would pay for itself in about 20 years. However, that does not take into consideration what power you might be able to sell back to the electric company, or any tax breaks you may have available to you. Also, from what I've read, the life expectancy of a solar system is about 20 years. In my case, my local power company does not participate in the buyback program.....and, my electric meter is an electronic unit that doesn't run backwards if you are producing more power than you're using.

Just like with hybrid cars and other "green" energy choices, I don't think they are economically feasible with the current technology.

Threads
A few years ago I looked into a solar system for my house, not to go off the grid, but only to reduce my overall energy costs. What I found out is that the system I put together would pay for itself in about 20 years. However, that does not take into consideration what power you might be able to sell back to the electric company, or any tax breaks you may have available to you. Also, from what I've read, the life expectancy of a solar system is about 20 years. In my case, my local power company does not participate in the buyback program.....and, my electric meter is an electronic unit that doesn't run backwards if you are producing more power than you're using.

Just like with hybrid cars and other "green" energy choices, I don't think they are economically feasible with the current technology.

I found this 3000 kw system for $4999.00, and tva will pay $1000 plus a 30% tax rebate so I am still trying to decide if it will pay off, or not. Thankyou for the info.

mullins87

Threads
Does your local power company participate in the buyback program? I think all power companies are required to buyback any excess power you generate, provided your meter will run backwards. The buyback program pays a small premium for that excess power, over what they would charge you for that power.....again it's been a few years since I looked all this up, so I may have mixed up details or the program may have expired. With the TVA grant and tax break, you're down to $2,800 plus installation for the system. Combine that with a buyback program that may be available to you and it MIGHT be economically feasible for you. How many sun hours do you get where you live? We only get 4.25 here.

Threads
Does your local power company participate in the buyback program? I think all power companies are required to buyback any excess power you generate, provided your meter will run backwards. The buyback program pays a small premium for that excess power, over what they would charge you for that power.....again it's been a few years since I looked all this up, so I may have mixed up details or the program may have expired. With the TVA grant and tax break, you're down to $2,800 plus installation for the system. Combine that with a buyback program that may be available to you and it MIGHT be economically feasible for you. How many sun hours do you get where you live? We only get 4.25 here.

We get about 5.5 hrs here of sun time our power company does participate in the buyback program. I had looked at this system because its complete, and diy all I need is someone to tie it in.

mullins87

Threads
I can't tell you whether or not to do it, only you can do that. However, if you do, there are a whole bunch of people on this site, including myself, that would be very interested in hearing your experience with it and how much you are saving on your monthly bill. The only stories I've read about are the ones that claim they are making money by generating more power than they are using....a bunch of hogwash if you ask me. Of course, those people also happen to be selling them too. :thumbdown:

Threads
I sure will I plan to do a little more research too before I buy one.