So why is Briggs and Stratton the last choice for a commercial mower engine.

Jim104

Threads
  • / So why is Briggs and Stratton the last choice for a commercial mower engine.
Preventative Maintenance and how you operate it extends the life of your B&S engine. The type of oil and RPM are major contributors to engine wear and damage. I get at least 10 years use out of lawn mower for home use on an acre lot, using it about 50 weeks out of the year. I am either cutting grass or picking up leaves in South Alabama. If the engine does not have an oil filter, I use 30w non-detergent oil. I know the manufacturer says use 10w30 detergent. Detergent oil keeps the impurities suspended in the oil and it continuously runs through the bearings until the oil is changed. Most, if not all of the impurities settle to the bottom of the crank case upon shut down when using non-detergent oil and stays there until it is drained oil. These same impurities are filtered out of the oil if the engine has a filter installed. I use 30w oil in all mower engines after they get 150 operating hours. Set your carb linkage so it will not over rev. when the governor kicks in. Excessive RPM is an engine killer. If you want your engine to start easy, use non-ethanol gas. Ethanol destroys packings and seals in carb and it settles to the bottom of the tank during periods of non use. The additional cost for non-ethanol gas is worth it when your mower starts on the 2nd pull or almost immediately when you turn the key. I use non-ethanol gas in all lawn equipment and 2 old cars (67 Galaxie 500 and 68 Mustang Fastback). I am currently using a 5 year old John Deere LA105 (19.5 B&S) with a 42 inch deck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / So why is Briggs and Stratton the last choice for a commercial mower engine.
What was just posted goes for any engine not just Briggs and a few things said are not truly correct unless you leave your unit sit for more than a year for oil and three months on ethanol. Never use products other than manufactures recommendations unless you do your own repairs and your unit is out of warranty. You could end up with paying big $$$$ by doing so. Personally I do something's that are not manufacture recommended, but I am willing to take the chance. To recommend this to others on this forum is not right and most of the dealers and techs on this forum will agree with me. To all who read this thread remember that we just give our opinions and you must take each with that in mind. None of us is right or wrong, use the info listed to make up your mind.