So disappointed in my Honda mower

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You were sold a pre- owned wore out mower that was never registered when it was new.

I ran into this similar fiasco with a Honda generator.

RetireeRon

Threads
UPDATE:
I wanted to wait until I discussed my concerns with Honda before commenting again, and I am now ready to put closure on this. The positive that has come out of this is that Honda has confirmed that my mower came with a full 60 month warranty, not the 36 months the dealer kept insisting it came with. To confirm, Honda called the dealership and informed them that my mower does indeed carry a 60 month warranty. The dealership said they did not remember anyone telling me that my mower only had a 36 month warranty, but both the service manager as well as the office receptionist told me this.

To back this up, Honda sent me a PDF of all the pertinent info regarding my mower such as service work already performed, purchase date, serial #, and length of warranty.

All of this has restored my faith in Honda’s willingness to honor their warranty, which based upon my history with this mower I will surely be using again. The down side to the story is I still have a mower that I believe to be a lemon, one that will not provide the kind of service I was expecting when I purchased it. At any rate , I now have almost two additional years of warranty that I was told I didn’t have back in January, and for that I am grateful.

Thanks to all who commented on this thread.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you got resolution.
Now very important, find some one else to do your repairs.
You have caught the dealer out in a lie
All they need to do is spray some oil inside the manifold followed by dust take a photo and you have offically abused the mower by running without an air filter or with a faulty one & the warranty is voided.
While this is sort of rewarding them because they did not want to do warranty work in the first place you can do your best to make sure it bites them on the bum firstly by telling every one you know on social media your story and in particular that you don't trust them and found them to be dishonest .
Some dealers have the idea that your are their for their benefit & the sooner they are bankrupted the better.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can see where the warranty length confusion can come into play. The HRC versions only carry a 24 month warranty, The HRR and HRS carry a 36 month warranty and the HRX carries the 60 month warranty.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the update. Three things can be gained by you telling us what happened. First, warranties can be confusing, depending on models and their use, but good dealers should know which models they are working on. Second, your dealer was definitely trying to pull a fast one and as said you should let others know you are finding a new dealer and why. Third, if unhappy with your service on a particular unit, don’t be afraid to contact the manufacturer, the good ones will work with you to resolve the problem. Might not always be the outcome you desire by it is something most people are reluctant to do.

RetireeRon

Threads
Thanks everyone. I have already located a new dealer. The closest one to me is at a Northern Tool store that I check out once or twice a year. Next time I’m there I will be speaking to them about having them service my mower going forward.
I knew the dealer was lying to me all along and was very grateful that Honda contacted them directly because otherwise they would not have honored the remainder of my warranty.

After all of this I have zero trust in that particular dealership. It’s just disappointing that a dealer will take over $1,100 of your hard earned money for a mower and a trimmer then try to give you the shaft when you need service. I still remember the 1st time I took it to them the service manager’s first question was “did you buy it here or a big box store”? I specifically told him I bought it from his dealership because I wanted to establish a good relationship with them if and when I needed service.

Ya just never know!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That would have bought three or four MTD self propelled mowers I suspect. Sometimes you actually don't get what you pay for.

RetireeRon

Threads
That would have bought three or four MTD self propelled mowers I suspect. Sometimes you actually don't get what you pay for.
Well, you may be right about that. As a long time Honda associate, now retired, I wanted to support the company that had been so good to me and my family. I guess the moral of the story is sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks everyone. I have already located a new dealer. The closest one to me is at a Northern Tool store that I check out once or twice a year. Next time I’m there I will be speaking to them about having them service my mower going forward.
I knew the dealer was lying to me all along and was very grateful that Honda contacted them directly because otherwise they would not have honored the remainder of my warranty.

After all of this I have zero trust in that particular dealership. It’s just disappointing that a dealer will take over $1,100 of your hard earned money for a mower and a trimmer then try to give you the shaft when you need service. I still remember the 1st time I took it to them the service manager’s first question was “did you buy it here or a big box store”? I specifically told him I bought it from his dealership because I wanted to establish a good relationship with them if and when I needed service.

Ya just never know!

You will probably find the store is owned or run by an accountant .