Snowblower track shear bolt keeps breaking

Cakey

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have this one Honda HS1334 snow blower. It is a tracked unit, and it keeps breaking the shear pin on the front right drive wheal of the track. Their is no noticeable damage to the axle or track unite. Without the shear pin the track spins freely and smoothly. I was just curious if any one has had this problem and knew what it was before i go tearing into it.

BWH

Threads
We have this one Honda HS1334 snow blower. It is a tracked unit, and it keeps breaking the shear pin on the front right drive wheal of the track. Their is no noticeable damage to the axle or track unite. Without the shear pin the track spins freely and smoothly. I was just curious if any one has had this problem and knew what it was before i go tearing into it.

I have a Honda 1132 tracked snow blower that's around 10 years old, I have sheered off a auger sheer pin on the left side once but never sheered a drive pin ever.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things come to mind when I hear this problem. One, are you using the correct size shear bolt, Honda tracks put a lot of torque on that bolt. Two, the bolt must be very tight, any sloppy or looseness will cause the bolt to shear.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
To be clear, you have an HS1332? (I do not think there is an HS1334) Is it a USA or Canada-spec model?

Is the pin that is breaking the one shown here in yellow? ("Wheel shaft pin")?

hs1332trackdis_zps0f7e2d20.jpg

While there is nothing specific about this in the shop manual, I can tell you any binding, or loose parts, or not in alignment parts of the track can create too much load and cause the pin to shear. Compare the other side and see if they both match for tension, alignment, etc. Confirm there are no missing parts.

Finally, Honda did issue a service bulletin on this model last year due to some units leaving the factory with loose hardware, and part of that was the four 8x 14 track guide bolts (blue); confirm they are tightened to 27 Nm (20 ft-lb).

Cakey

Forum Newbie
Threads
its a HONDA HS1332TAS, sorry. Yes its the wheel shaft pin of the front right wheel. Their is no noticeable damage and i have been using the OEM pin. The first thing i will do though is check that track guide, thanks for the help.

Steven M

Forum Newbie
Threads
its a HONDA HS1332TAS, sorry. Yes its the wheel shaft pin of the front right wheel. Their is no noticeable damage and i have been using the OEM pin. The first thing i will do though is check that track guide, thanks for the help.
I'm having the same problem, with the same make and model. Did you figure out why the track shear pin kept braking?