Snowblower 2nd Opinion

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Considering buying another snowblower but cant buy it til the spring in April or May. I have a Sears 247.888500 26in 8.5hp track snowblower but it needs new connecting rod. Got it from PO in pieces. PO said he was blowing deep snow with it and snapped a rod but no other damage to the block etc. It does have the aluminum markings on the crank journal. Its one of twin cam engines that are to find replace it if I needed a engine. I'd still fix this one regardless. Im just not comfortable depending on this one at one that I'd use all the time. Much rather keep going as back up snowblower. I have 400ft driveway that I would it for. The driveway has hill up by the house then dips down then back up to the road. Im using Sears GT3000 with 48in dozer blade but not if it climb the hills with snow on the ground or not. So I'd make due with GT3000 til spring got here.

These 2 caught my attention from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Poulan-P...396?N=bxc5Z12laZ12lbZ12lcZ2bctpx#.Uqdl2SeaaB4

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sno-Tek-...490?N=bxc5Z12laZ12lbZ12lcZ2bctpx#.UqdmmCeaaB4

metz12

Threads
try to get something that has an american motor. i think the snotek one has a honda clone on it. the ariens version of that one (yes i know snotek is made by ariens) has a briggs in it.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
try to get something that has an american motor. i think the snotek one has a honda clone on it. the ariens version of that one (yes i know snotek is made by ariens) has a briggs in it.

Dont think they use american motors on the new snowblowers. The new snow king engines are made over seas now also.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anybody know anything about the Power Smart snowblowers?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
400 foot driveway is one long driveway. Dose your driveway have a gravel or hard surface. The problem I find with snow blowers if someone has a gravel drive they tend to pick up stones and the stones do damage to the snow blower.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
400 foot driveway is one long driveway. Dose your driveway have a gravel or hard surface. The problem I find with snow blowers if someone has a gravel drive they tend to pick up stones and the stones do damage to the snow blower.

Its a crushed stone driveway. Will they still pickup stones with runners all the way down?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Its a crushed stone driveway. Will they still pickup stones with runners all the way down?

You should be OK. Small stone will just go through the blower and cause no trouble. Having the runners all the way down also helps. I find that when there is a thaw the drive way surface gets soft and then the runners just sink into the ground and then it can be like you have no runners. Its the small rock size stones that cause the problems. Most snow blowers also have sheer pins.

possum

Threads
Powersmart is Amerisun. Outfit out of the Midwest is the distributor, parts center etc. They seem to copy MTD and Snotech in both style and color. Their lawnmowers look to copy Black and Decker in style and some times John Deere colors. The engines are LCT. So instead of a China engine you get a full blown China snowblower. I would get a brand from a well known company so service can be found. Around here most snowblowers are the Craftsman brand name. Running over crushed rock or stones is easy enough to do with skids are raised up. Easy to bang something up as well. The learning curve takes a bit unless you get all weather situations in one season. In soft muddy conditions you have to learn to hold the machine front up a bit by pushing down on the handles. Go slow and let the machine find its way as you feel its way. It can be a bit nerve racking. Picking up your area and drive right before a storm is helpful. Running over a drive after you get the blower to see just what is going on while the drive is snowfree is helpful. Any one who sees you with a snowlower running on your drive in May will inform people you are having a mental breakdown of sorts. If asked what you were doing just tell them you were blowing snow.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do they still make snowblowers with track drive system or is all of them rubber tire drive now?