Snow thrower engine problems

bubby

Forum Newbie
Threads
A neighbor gave me an off brand (All Power) snow thrower. It has an 87cc, four stroke. Been unable to find the manufacturer of the engine, I'm guessing it's generic. I changed oil, plug, gas, (no apparent air filter), took the bowl off the carb and the float looks good and needle was free, then gave it a general clean up. I prime it and choke it fully and it pops right off, first pull. After 20-30 seconds it starts to chug so I move the choke open a little. It smooth's out and idles fine. I let it warm up as much as 5-10 min. then open the choke full and it dies. I choke it, almost fully, and it returns to a pretty good idle. When I try to move the choke open slowly it does the same thing and acts like it is getting slowly choked. I can engage the impeller to start throwing snow but can't get any RPM's out of the engine. Very frustrating. I know just enough about small engines to be dangerous laughing:

Pointers in any direction are greatly appreciated.

Bubby

peggking23

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think it has been stored for a long period without maintenance. I think you should call the manufacturer to take care of the issue. Until then you can use simple snow removal hacks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like your engine is running lean. Probably due to fuel left in the unit for a long period of time. Carb will need to be cleaned and rebuilt or replaced. Please post the model and serial numbers of the unit and I might be able to help you a bit more.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
What Rivets said and to add that snow blowers don't usually have an air filter.