Snapper RER & Classic Cyclone Rake Experience

mattm55

Threads
I recently purchased a used Classic Cyclone Rake for my older 28" RER Snapper. I had done searches but really didn't find anything specifically on how the RER and Cyclone Rake would work. Maybe I missed it in my search? Anyways, here is my experience for anyone looking to purchase and not sure if it is a good investment.

For me, the used rakes sell really quick around here (~ a few hours on CL) so if it doesn't work, I can turn it around and probably make a small profit.

RER Background:
- 1980's Snapper 28" RER with a new Honda GV390 (~12HP repowered from Briggs)
- rebuilt Snapper and did the drive disc mod with direct bolt attachment and extra gears to make commercial model

Cyclone Rake Classic (used)
- B&S Vanguard 6.5HP
- est weight (~45lbs=motor, ~80lbs unit, misc ~25lbs (i.e., chute, hose,...)

Attachment;
Attachment was pretty easy as I used the original Snapper discharge chute and the Cyclone Rake plastic coupler to hose. Both are 8" so slipping over chute was enough to hold. I will add pics of my attachment process after I reassemble rake and mower again.

The "L" mount I attached to the mowers back plate with 3 - 3/8"x1.5" bolts and nylocks. I reinforced behind the mowers plate with a 14"x3"x1/2" aluminum bar I had. The rake actually rotates with the mower by 2 point attachment. It's not like a regular tow behind that pivots on one point.

First Test Run:
OK. I wasn't sure the RER would pull the rake or just slip. It actually pulls the empty rake no problem. I ran the test run filling up the "bag" about half way with dry leaves and some grass.

However, the downside is that the RER front end gets very light. Yes, it will turn but quick turns are like driving in snow where its takes a few seconds to bite and turn. Gradual steering is recommended with sweeping turns. I have pretty flat property but hills could be problematic or downright dangerous. ***Going sideways on a hill, with loaded rake could drag you down hill and flip you over!! I would say that for any mower with the CR or with any bagger really.

Conclusion:
I think the rake will be a better option than the Snapper bagger as that required hundreds of trips to the "pile" where the rake will cut that down by 80%-90%. I'd say 15-20 trips:1 trip ratio but thats a guess. The Cyclone minces the leaves even smaller than the Snapper hi-lift blade does. I think I will be replacing my drive disc more often as time will tell. A small price to pay. As for the quality of the Cyclone Rake. The build and design quality are well thought out. Replacement parts are available and it assembles/disassembles fast for storage. I would have definitely bought one on sale for $1399 if I had the information above to at least say it might work for RER's. Yes, pics are coming once I have it assembled again on the mower and ready for leaf pickup. If you call them, CR, as I did last year, they were very honest and said they did not recommend the rake for my small Snapper RER.

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with Woodland Power Products or received any $$$ for this review. :)

Last edited:

BillyBig

Threads
Your Snapper looks really good. You did an excellent job on her. I think so anyways. :)

mattm55

Threads
Thanks. I disassembled the whole mower, sandblasted, repainted, repowered with Honda. Came out decent.
Pulls the full Cyclone Rake.

Last edited:

mattm55

Threads
Here are some pics of the Snapper and Cyclone Rake. I just pulled it up from the basement for use this year. Disassembly and assembly are a breeze. It takes about 10-15 minutes to put together. They engineered it to be assembled/disassembled very fast tool-less. A+

1. Cyclone Rake parts
cycloneRake_bagFrame1.jpg cycloneRake_frame1.jpg
cycloneRake_motorHoseWheelsMisc1.jpg

cycloneRake_completAssemb2.jpg

2. "L" bracket mounted on back of Snapper RER
cycloneRake_lMountSnapper1.jpgcycloneRake_lMountSnapper2.jpg

3. Cyclone Rake Chute setup. The chute I used that came with the unit is 8".
cycloneRake_chuteSnapper1.jpg cycloneRake_chuteDimension_8inch.jpg

4. Ready for leaf pickup
cycloneRake_hoseSnapperAttach1.jpg

Conclusion: I thought about hanging some weight off the front of the Snapper as when the rake gets full, the balance makes steering a little challenging. By that I mean it takes a bit to bite in and turn (kinda like steering in snow). However, I kinda like the light front end so I can judge when the rake is about 3/4's full and ready to dump.
*Not sure I mentioned it in above posts but I do have the friction disc mod done with the direct bolts and no longer a smoother clutch. My wife helps mowing and she does better than me. Miss-judging a turn and hitting house (me = 2, wife =0).

I also added the extra gears to make it a commercial version. Watch Jims Fixit videos. They are A+++

Any questions on my setup, just ask..... I'll be out leaf vacuuming.... ;o)

Update 8/13/2023: I'll be coming up to my 3rd year on the drive disc and so far no issues or replacement needed. Cyclone Rake works like a charm. I may go for a new Classic bag as the velcro did come apart in just a few spots. I did buy the CR used.

Last edited:

doughoag

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are some pics of the Snapper and Cyclone Rake. I just pulled it up from the basement for use this year. Disassembly and assembly are a breeze. It takes about 10-15 minutes to put together. They engineered it to be assembled/disassembled very fast tool-less. A+

1. Cyclone Rake parts
View attachment 62592 View attachment 62593
View attachment 62594

View attachment 62601

2. "L" bracket mounted on back of Snapper RER
View attachment 62595View attachment 62596

3. Cyclone Rake Chute setup. The chute I used that came with the unit is 8".
View attachment 62598 View attachment 62599

4. Ready for leaf pickup
View attachment 62600

Conclusion: I thought about hanging some weight off the front of the Snapper as when the rake gets full, the balance makes steering a little challenging. By that I mean it takes a bit to bite in and turn (kinda like steering in snow). However, I kinda like the light front end so I can judge when the rake is about 3/4's full and ready to dump.
*Not sure I mentioned it in above posts but I do have the friction disc mod done with the direct bolts and no longer a smoother clutch. My wife helps mowing and she does better than me. Miss-judging a turn and hitting house (me = 2, wife =0).

I also added the extra gears to make it a commercial version. Watch Jims Fixit videos. They are A+++

Any questions on my setup, just ask..... I'll be out leaf vacuuming.... ;o)

Update 8/13/2023: I'll be coming up to my 3rd year on the drive disc and so far no issues or replacement needed. Cyclone Rake works like a charm. I may go for a new Classic bag as the velcro did come apart in just a few spots. I did buy the CR used.
If you haven't already, go for the "tapered" bag kit. I switched my old classic out last year, and unload is so much better! (edit) Nevermind, I can see it already has the tapered bag. Love my CR.

thehill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had a rake for 33 years with my snapper. There is a weight kit for the front of the snapper to solve the problem with light wheels. I also use the dethatcher with weights as well. You will need to replace the rubber blower in the rake at about 20 years.

doughoag

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've bought and sold a few Cyclone Rakes, now. My original was an Estate sale of a very early classic model (with the zippers instead of Velcro) in nearly mint condition. Through a few barn finds, I've upgraded to the dual wheels, Briggs 6 HP (from Techumseh 5HP) and tapered bag (new from Woodland) and picked up an estate vacuum and power unloader.

The reason I'm posting is to make sure you know that your model is a Commander, not a Classic. Classics only use a 7" hose. Would hate to see you order the wrong parts if needed.

your photo
Screenshot 2023-11-16 224725.png