Snapper RE110 - Dies when Clutch is Released

keakar

Threads
this is really helpful, thank you. I plan to try this out - any chance you could send me some pictures of this mod?
damnit man you jinxed me, my dads turtle just did the same thing as yours was doing, no matter what you did, letting foot off the brake it just dies, whether in gear or not, blade on or off, it didnt matter. of 8 turtles i have owned, this makes 4 of them i had to bypass the safety kill switch circuits on.

so here is the fast and quick fix since its fresh in my mind.

remove battery, open wire harness loom by battery were it enters under seat after comes from the motor, find the purple wire and cut it as far you need to so you have enough room to work on it to connect a butt connector to it with a length of roughly 8" of black wire and add a butt connector on the end of that, then take the wire loom from key switch and locate the purple wire there and cut it in a spot you have room to smash the but connector on it and do that, then its done and tuck everything away as beast you can back in the wire looms and reconnect the battery. in short, you just connected the purple wire from key switch direct to the purple wire that goes to the magnito to kill the spark and eliminated the rest that went to all the safety kill switches on the mower.

your reverse switch and other kill switches will no longer work but the starting safeties still do, so it cannot start with the blade on, or the mower in gear, will still not allow the starter solenoid to work so its still safe as it needs to be in my opinion. key switch turned off is what kills the mower

hope this helps

Last edited:

Dubya1886

Forum Newbie
Threads
damnit man you jinxed me, my dads turtle just did the same thing as yours was doing, no matter what you did, letting foot off the brake it just dies, whether in gear or not, blade on or off, it didnt matter. of 8 turtles i have owned, this makes 4 of them i had to bypass the safety kill switch circuits on.

remove battery, open wire harness loom by battery were it enters under seat after comes from the motor, find the purple wire and cut it as far you need to so you have enough room to work on it to connect a butt connector to it with a length of roughly 8" of black wire and add a butt connector on the end of that, then take the wire loom from key switch and locate the purple wire there and cut it in a spot you have room to smash the but connector on it and do that, then its done and tuck everything away as beast you can back in the wire looms and reconnect the battery. in short, you just connected the purple wire from key switch direct to the purple wire that goes to the magnito to kill the spark and eliminated the rest that went to all the safety kill switches on the mower.

your reverse switch and other kill switches will no longer work but the starting safeties still do, so it cannot start with the blade on, or the mower in gear, will still not allow the starter solenoid to work so its still safe as it needs to be in my opinion. key switch turned off is what kills the mower

hope this helps
Sorry to hear that you had the same problem but I'm very thankful for your writeup. Cheers!

keakar

Threads
Sorry to hear that you had the same problem but I'm very thankful for your writeup. Cheers!
it seems like they all do at some point. i dont like bypassing safeties but i never could resolve if it was the blade safety, deck safety, or rear axle safety or a combination of more then one that was the issue so i solved the problem my own way and it seems this is only an issue on the turtle mowers

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Let's be fair keakar. Those junk mowers you speak of probably have mowed more grass than we've all seen. And of course have several decades of solid use on them. Little wiring repair for a 50 plus year old mower isn't out of line. "Come on guys!!! Brandon Biden"

Dubya1886

Forum Newbie
Threads

hope this helps
Alright I got some butt connectors and wire, I just wanted to make sure I'm reading this correctly. Please see the image below and let me know if my interpretation of your writeup is correct. Thanks!

High quality image link.

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2022-06-29_at_2.07.10_PM_59.png
    Screen_Shot_2022-06-29_at_2.07.10_PM_59.png
    354.1 KB · Views: 8

keakar

Threads
sorry it took me so long to reply, i have been busy

there is a purple wire in the loom that goes out the hole towards the engine

all you need to do is cut that purple wire right around where the small red battery wire goes into the harness by that white plug and splice a new wire onto it and just leave the rest of the purple wire in the loom that goes into the main loom disconnected, it is harmless and will no longer connected to anything.

now grab the loom coming from the key switch and find the purple wire in it, cut that purple wire and splice the other end of the new wire you added to the one going to the engine (leave the rest of purple wire in the loom that goes into the main loom disconnected)

so you now have a direct purple wire from key switch running to the engines purple wire pretty much the way you drew that yellow line to show

you dont want to unplug or disconnect anything else but just those two purple wires

and thats it, you bypassed the ground side of the safety kill circuit so you no longer have those safeties

there are still going to to be ground safeties that disable the starter solenoid so it wont start unless foot is on the brake

and the blades are not engaged so its still safe, just not as safe as it was from the factory

in its simplest way to explain it, you ran a direct kill switch connecting the purple wire from key switch directly to the purple wire to the engine
so they are no longer connected to anything else but each other

Last edited: