Export thread

Snapper quits

navydad2022

navydad2022

Recently exchanged new pos and neg cables and starter got it going and did my yard.now my mower starts but when l release the brake / clutch paddle it turns off.

navydad2022

navydad2022

Recently exchanged new pos and neg cables and starter got it going and did my yard.now my mower starts but when l release the brake / clutch paddle it turns off.
My victory was short lived,now this happens 😞

R

Rivets

Seat switch not working properly.

navydad2022

navydad2022

Rivets l purchased all three switches just in case . Didn't know the affects of a bad switch.Thank you

navydad2022

navydad2022

Would the three switches it has do the same thing .

R

Rivets

I like the idea that you started a new thread, but unless I want to take the time to go searching for your old threads. I don’t feel that this is the best use of my time. I don’t have much info to help you out. Things I don’t know.
1. What kind of Snapper are you talking about?
2. What are the units model and serial numbers?
3. What switches are you talking about?
4. Getting an engine to start and run is very different electrically than a units controls shutting down the engine.
5. Do you have any electrical troubleshooting experience and can you read electrical wiring diagrams if we can find them.
Sounds like you are throwing parts at this unit to see what sticks, but I try to help by figuring out causes before telling someone to spend money. Electrical troubleshooting is difficult enough if the unit is my shop, but trying to do it in a forum like this is nearly impossible if I don’t have a good picture of the problem. I’ll be glad to try to help you, but unless I have a better picture of what you have in front of you, there isn’t a whole lot I can do.

navydad2022

navydad2022

I like the idea that you started a new thread, but unless I want to take the time to go searching for your old threads. I don’t feel that this is the best use of my time. I don’t have much info to help you out. Things I don’t know.
4. Getting an engine to start and run is very different electrically than a units controls shutting down the engine.
5. Do you have any electrical troubleshooting experience and can you read electrical wiring diagrams if we can find them.
Sounds like you are throwing parts at this unit to see what sticks, but I try to help by figuring out causes before telling someone to spend money. Electrical troubleshooting is difficult enough if the unit is my shop, but trying to do it in a forum like this is nearly impossible if I don’t have a good picture of the problem. I’ll be glad to try to help you, but unless I have a better picture of what you have in front of you, there isn’t a whole lot I can do.

Attachments

navydad2022

navydad2022

I'm putting parts because this was a abused and I'm trying to give it some TLC.l have some knowledge of diagrams but I'm no expert, learning as l go with you all expertise

navydad2022

navydad2022

I'm putting parts because this was a abused and I'm trying to give it some TLC.l have some knowledge of diagrams but I'm no expert, learning as l go with you all expertise
I've replaced starter, solenoid,key switch, battery cables,fuse,etc

navydad2022

navydad2022

It's ok if you can't,just putting it out there if anybody has prior experience on this problem 👍

B

bertsmobile1

read your owners manual
To move you have to be in the seat & the brake must be off
So 2 switches need to be working for this to happen, the seat switch & the parking brake switch
So one or the other is not working or the wires between them is not sound

navydad2022

navydad2022

read your owners manual
To move you have to be in the seat & the brake must be off
So 2 switches need to be working for this to happen, the seat switch & the parking brake switch
So one or the other is not working or the wires between them is not sound
Got it,thank you,l tested the brake switch but not the seat switch

navydad2022

navydad2022

Got it,thank you,l tested the brake switch but not the seat switch
Can l tone them out

R

Rivets

I’ve had plenty of experience with electrical troubleshooting, but you need to understand basic electricity before you try to tackle electrical troubleshooting. You posted pictures of wiring harnesses, not diagrams, they are mostly useless when troubleshooting. I’ve attached a wiring diagram, which techs use for this type of problem. Bert stated that there are two switches which may be the cause, so they will need to be tested. The seat switch-is NC when off the seat and the brake switch has two circuits, one is NC and the other is NO. On top of that the seat switch plug defaults to NC when disconnected. Hopefully you understand how these work or you’ll have a difficult time troubleshooting. There is also an electrical module where all these components hook into, which I’ve seen go bad.

navydad2022

navydad2022

I’ve had plenty of experience with electrical troubleshooting, but you need to understand basic electricity before you try to tackle electrical troubleshooting. You posted pictures of wiring harnesses, not diagrams, they are mostly useless when troubleshooting. I’ve attached a wiring diagram, which techs use for this type of problem. Bert stated that there are two switches which may be the cause, so they will need to be tested. The seat switch-is NC when off the seat and the brake switch has two circuits, one is NC and the other is NO. On top of that the seat switch plug defaults to NC when disconnected. Hopefully you understand how these work or you’ll have a difficult time troubleshooting. There is also an electrical module where all these components hook into, which I’ve seen go bad.
I don't think there is way to test this,am l right or wrong

navydad2022

navydad2022

I don't think there is way to test this,am l right or wrong
Thank you,will try both switches.l got some in today,all three except the module

R

Rivets

Yes there is a way to test switches if you understand what NC (normally closed) and NO (normally open) means.

navydad2022

navydad2022

Yes there is a way to test switches if you understand what NC (normally closed) and NO (normally open) means.
Rivets,l just have to check every switch(3) and any faulty wires

navydad2022

navydad2022

Rivets,l just have to check every switch(3) and any faulty wires
Rivets,l found the culprit,it was blade switch that was not making good contact.l jumped the switch with wire to test and sure enough it run perfect and reinstalled switch.l tested all switches to make sure and they were good.l also put new connector on ground to frame on the solenoid.Thank you, I'll see how long it goes without problems 🤞

R

Rivets

Thank you for letting us know, most don’t do that.

navydad2022

navydad2022

Thank you for letting us know, most don’t do that.
It puzzled me Rivets,l guess the connection got dirty, but l cleaned it and l went ahead and put a new switch that got earlier,Thank you all for your Expertise 🙏