Snapper 21401P saved

Snapperfreak

Threads
Found this on cl a few weeks ago for $45...and 1-1/2 hours away from me so didn't think much about it. Yesterday the price dropped to "make offer" so I offered $20 and he took it. Drive up to get it, a nice drive through farm lands and fields. Really nice older couple, the mower was his fathers who passed away a few years back. It's been sitting since but his father bought it new in 1983. It was worth the drive and I'll be cleaning it up this winter/spring. The tank is totally dry and the engine is locked up so once it's cleaned up I'll dive into that but overall it was well kept.

image-1301196854.jpg

image-1764752762.jpg

image-200121969.jpg

image-1068422933.jpg

image-2014957562.jpg

Snapperfreak

Threads
image-798616815.jpg

image-347587631.jpg

image-3908563105.jpg

Had a couple hours tonight to work on it so I cleaned it up some. Took off the engine and cleaned all under it and on too of the deck where it mounts to. Still need to take the shroud off and clean in there but this must've been kept indoors most or it's life. Very little fading on the frame. A little rust on the shroud but not bad. I love these old basic briggs models. Still want to find some series 0 vertical-recoil models.

Grassbandit

Threads
Nice little gem you've found there. What are your plans for it?

Snapperfreak

Threads
Definitely will be keeping this one. With it in such good shape and coming from its original owner I couldn't part with it. I'll be using it on occasion once it's running too. These are the ones I really like to find, to hear the stories behind. Ones that have actually been taken care of. Where the paint still has almost all if its original shine to it once the dust and dirt is wiped off. So it has taken up permanent residence in the garage next to the others.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very clean mower considering the age. The wheels are still very white and donnot seem to have many scratches.
Always nice to hear the story behind a mower,car, etc.

I can't wait to get my new commercial Snapper.

bt3

Threads
Excellent, OP.

Considering I paid over $600 for mine new in the 80's (that's it in my Avatar), you did GREAT.
Although mine is a Wisconsin Robin Commercial model. With accessories it was a thousand dollar bill back then. And since it's still mowing my lawn, I guess it was not a bad deal.

Awesome mower. Good find. Congrats.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Thanks guys. More pics to come as work progresses. Yep they were built to last, that's for sure. And as much as I love my WRs, I still love these old basic briggs models too.

What's this about a new snapper commercial Lawnboy18?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys. More pics to come as work progresses. Yep they were built to last, that's for sure. And as much as I love my WRs, I still love these old basic briggs models too.

What's this about a new snapper commercial Lawnboy18?

I ordered one! I wanted a second commercial 21" mower in my fleet for a backup. It will have the Honda engine (GXV160). I didn't want the Briggs. I would of really wanted it with the Kawi engine, but they no longuer use that motor. I took the Hi-vac deck. It should be a nice machine.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Wow nice! That's a great engine. The only snapper I bought new was in 1998. Not commercial, self-propelled homeowner with 5hp briggs but I still remember how it felt picking it up and how it smelled the first few times I used it. Kinda wish I still had it for posterity.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know, I just love that new smell and that "first time". Always a nice feeling when coming back with a new mower.

The residential mowers are very good units. All tho, I wanted something a little stronger.