Snapper 21350PS

Snapperfreak

Threads
So my OCD enabled me to find another gem yesterday on cl AND be the first to call about it. I will get pics posted later this week but it's a 1982 21350PS...key-start. 1982, being the last of the non-OSHA engine-kill handle years, it has the vertical-recoil Briggs 3.5hp engine and red rubber drive handle cover. I bought it from the original owner who also had an extra bag and a brand new blade for me. The only reason he sold it was because the recoil began to get hard to pull. Last year he had it serviced at a local shop (new belts, carb cleaned). So after fighting with the recoil on and off for the last year or so he called it quits and bought a new Honda from home depot. When I got it home and played around with it I noticed that the belt that goes around the shaft was pretty tight and the shaft actually spun while the belt stayed put so somehow there was too much tension. So today I took the spring off to release the tension and it started on the second pull. The engine runs great. So all I have to do is figure out thae tension issue. Oh, and the key start has a minor issue...it's missing the starter. Even though I'm sure I can use it as-is with the recoil (once the tension issue is fixed) I really want to get that starter so it's back to original shape. It has the tray for the battery down on the deck just to the left of the model/serial # decal. It's really neat and I can't wait to get pics on here. I'll get some before and after, as it's pretty dirty right now.

Almost forgot. I got the mower, two really good condition old bags and a brand new blade for $30. Not bad.

cashman

Threads
Great score! See if the drive plate and the idler pulley turn free?

Alanky

Threads
Good deal! Glad to see I'm not the only one buying these things up in quantities! Makes me feel a little less crazy. Where are the pictures!?!

Snapperfreak

Threads
Good call cashman, it was the drive plate. I got it off and found the ball bearings underneith were mashed together and frozen. Well, the ones that were left. About half were missing. But that was it, they had froze up so it couldn't spin. I don't have a spare one lying around so I'll have to get one but hopefully i can do that this weekend. I did get it cleaned up tpday though before I took the drive plate off so I'll get thos pictures onto the computer and uploaded. I also replaced the wheels with a better set (steel in rear, plastic up front). The rear guard got replaced with a spare one I had and I just cleaned up the handlebars and deck. It's not completely pristine but it does look better. Now, off to get those pics situated......

Snapperfreak

Threads
I was having technical dificulty the other day getting pics uploaded. So here it is. The deck is a little cleaner now after taking some simple green to it but the handlebars cleaned up real nice. Since the drive system is taken apart right now waiting for the disc (about $30) I'll add more pics after it's all put back together. But I had to at least clean it up. It may be a bit harder finding an electric starter for it though, the po didn't have it. He said he replaced the engine about 10 years ago but the engine on it is dated 1982 so I'm not sure if he meant a new old one or if his memory was off or what. I didn't really get into that when I picked it up. I was just happy to find it plus to two old bags and a brand new blade (which is now on the re-furbed 21500PC). So once I get the disc installed and the chute back on I'll post more pics. I"ll also probably remove the key-start assembly until I can locate a starter too. As good as this one runs I'll probably be using this unit often.

Attachments

• iphone 177.jpg
    iphone 177.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 44
  • iphone 178.jpg
    iphone 178.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 32
  • iphone 179.jpg
    iphone 179.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 29
  • iphone 180.jpg
    iphone 180.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 28
  • iphone 181.jpg
    iphone 181.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 34

Snapperfreak

Threads
image-1753496697.jpg

image-164777865.jpg

Got it cleaned up some. The deck had a lot of soot stuck to it and I managed to get most of it off but it could use more work. Haven't gotten around to replacing the disc yet. I want to soon though, if really like to use this one.

Alanky

Threads
Looks great! Where do you get your steel wheels?

Snapperfreak

Threads
Most I've taken off decks I have parted out. Although the set that is on the 21500PC I refurbed over the summer I bought new off of eBay. They're made by stens and they're not exactly cheap. That's the only set I bought new. Casto mower parts online sells them too. A pair of new steel rear wheels is around $45 and the fronts usually about $30-$35. That's the only new set I have but any decks I come across that I can't use and part out, the wheels are the first things to come off.

Alanky

Threads
Yea, I know they aren't cheap! I was hoping you knew of a place that was ch eaper than stens. Most of the decks I find here have plastic wheels unfortunately. As you know I have a few snappers, I just can't afford to put steel wheels on them all. I'd like to downsize a bit...if your ever in Kentucky, Haha :D