Snapper 21"(P216012) walk behind self-propelled trans leak

bartameous

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper 21"(P216012) walk behind self-propelled trans leak
I believe the right side axle seal is leaking, onto the drive belt causing it to slip when warm. Is this a easy fix? I'm of the belief, if one is leaking, the other is probably going to start. The right side looks like it might be a easy fix, but the left side, I'm not so sure. Anyone have any info on this? Please help.

upupandaway

Threads
... Is this a easy fix?...
Depends.. is the right rear wheel going to come off easily??? If the wheel is rusted on, u might have some work in front of you.
If Yes, then you are past the hard part. The gear box splits in 1/2(watch out for the oil that spills out), slide the right 1/2 of the gear box off the shaft, and pry out the shaft seal. You can order the shaft seal by Snapper part number but there is a seal type number on it that you can order from a local industrial supplier. Industrial supplier may be less expensive but I think the only difference will be a buck or 2 as a Timken shaft seal for a Stihl\echo trimmer is only $6 from the supplier.

ps. put antisieze on the shaft when you reassemble the wheel so you don't need the jaws of life next time you remove it.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
And get the PROPER lube at Tractor Supply called 00 grade grease. It has the consistency of pudding. Don't use traditional number 2 or 80w-90. Wash the trans housing and gears off with Diesel, old paint brush and paint pan. You can get a gallon of Diesel for roughly $3.75 now. Don't mess with "death in a can" brake cleaner. Gallon of Diesel will last you for ever cleaning parts. When done spray it on your stockade fence.
1724872109066.jpeg

bartameous

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. I got the proper lube for it when I bought the mower way back when. I think I may have over filled it last spring. I dont think the right wheel will be a problem since I replaced the drive disc last year.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every used Snapper I get, the rear drive is flat empty. Takes darn near that full quart of 00 to top her off.

bartameous

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to maintenance. We had a craftsman self propelled that we bought in '78, got tired of fixing the self propelled gear box, made it a push, had it until three years ago, when something broke internally. All I ever did to that mower was lapped the valves some time in the 90's and change the oil and spark plug regularly. Oh, and empty out the gas in the fall, never let it sit over the winter with gas in the carb.