Smoke and oil from the exhaust

Projectdiy

Threads
Just finish cleaning the carb on my B/S mod 40m777. It had been setting up for about two years. Carb cleaning went very well. Put it all back together, fired up just great but all of a sudden I've got a cloud of white smoke all over and a good bit of oil is being spewed out of exhaust. I shut it down to see if I can find the problem. Oil left in crankcase is clean but the oil being spewed out is totally black.
Any clues as where to start. I can go as far as an overhaul if necessary. But it was strong before this happened.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like your oil got contaminated by gas. Pull the dipstick and smell, if it smells like gas, drain all oil and put in proper amount. Start up the unit and run outside, as you will have a fogging unit unti all residual oil/gas is burned away. Why did you rebuild the carb in the first place?

logert gogert

Threads
Sounds like your oil got contaminated by gas. Pull the dipstick and smell, if it smells like gas, drain all oil and put in proper amount. Start up the unit and run outside, as you will have a fogging unit unti all residual oil/gas is burned away. Why did you rebuild the carb in the first place?
Yes, I agree with rivets, maybe your float got stuck ( even though you just cleaned it ), and gas could have leaked out of the carb into the motor. Another way to check is to feel the oil and if it is not as thick as oil then it has gas in it, or of course smell it like rivets stated.

Projectdiy

Threads
My thoughts on the carb were that since it had set up for a while it could use a clean out.

Projectdiy

Threads
My thoughts on the carb were that since it had set up for a while it could use a clean out.
Thanks Rivets, I just pulled dipstick and it has a strong gasoline smell. I'm thinking the float valve is stuck open. So I will go back into the carb and confirm.

Projectdiy

Threads
Yes, I agree with rivets, maybe your float got stuck ( even though you just cleaned it ), and gas could have leaked out of the carb into the motor. Another way to check is to feel the oil and if it is not as thick as oil then it has gas in it, or of course smell it like rivets stated.
Thanks for the info. Pulled the dipstick and it smells of gasoline strong !! Guess I should check the float valve before I try it again.

Projectdiy

Threads
Is the oil level high?
No I double checked the level and had it right on the mark. However I just checked the dipstick and got a STRONG gasoline smell. I'm thinking that the float valve is somehow not shutting off. I'm going to open the carb and check it out and then drain the oil and replace with fresh and see if I accomplish what I intended in the first place.
I really thank you guys !!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes. do not run it with gas smell in the oil.
oh, and are you sure of the model number? I couldn't find an parts breakdowns for that model, however i could find ones for 40777...

Projectdiy

Threads
oh, and are you sure of the model number? I couldn't find an parts breakdowns for that model, however i could find ones for 40777...
Yes there is a clear "m" between the 40 and the 777. The type is 0110 and the code is 070424YG