Export thread

Smoke and oil from the exhaust

P

Projectdiy

Just finish cleaning the carb on my B/S mod 40m777. It had been setting up for about two years. Carb cleaning went very well. Put it all back together, fired up just great but all of a sudden I've got a cloud of white smoke all over and a good bit of oil is being spewed out of exhaust. I shut it down to see if I can find the problem. Oil left in crankcase is clean but the oil being spewed out is totally black.
Any clues as where to start. I can go as far as an overhaul if necessary. But it was strong before this happened.

logert gogert

logert gogert

Is the oil level high?

R

Rivets

Sounds like your oil got contaminated by gas. Pull the dipstick and smell, if it smells like gas, drain all oil and put in proper amount. Start up the unit and run outside, as you will have a fogging unit unti all residual oil/gas is burned away. Why did you rebuild the carb in the first place?

logert gogert

logert gogert

Sounds like your oil got contaminated by gas. Pull the dipstick and smell, if it smells like gas, drain all oil and put in proper amount. Start up the unit and run outside, as you will have a fogging unit unti all residual oil/gas is burned away. Why did you rebuild the carb in the first place?
Yes, I agree with rivets, maybe your float got stuck ( even though you just cleaned it ), and gas could have leaked out of the carb into the motor. Another way to check is to feel the oil and if it is not as thick as oil then it has gas in it, or of course smell it like rivets stated.

P

Projectdiy

My thoughts on the carb were that since it had set up for a while it could use a clean out.

P

Projectdiy

My thoughts on the carb were that since it had set up for a while it could use a clean out.
Thanks Rivets, I just pulled dipstick and it has a strong gasoline smell. I'm thinking the float valve is stuck open. So I will go back into the carb and confirm.

P

Projectdiy

Yes, I agree with rivets, maybe your float got stuck ( even though you just cleaned it ), and gas could have leaked out of the carb into the motor. Another way to check is to feel the oil and if it is not as thick as oil then it has gas in it, or of course smell it like rivets stated.
Thanks for the info. Pulled the dipstick and it smells of gasoline strong !! Guess I should check the float valve before I try it again.

P

Projectdiy

Is the oil level high?
No I double checked the level and had it right on the mark. However I just checked the dipstick and got a STRONG gasoline smell. I'm thinking that the float valve is somehow not shutting off. I'm going to open the carb and check it out and then drain the oil and replace with fresh and see if I accomplish what I intended in the first place.
I really thank you guys !!

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Yes. do not run it with gas smell in the oil.
oh, and are you sure of the model number? I couldn't find an parts breakdowns for that model, however i could find ones for 40777...

P

Projectdiy

oh, and are you sure of the model number? I couldn't find an parts breakdowns for that model, however i could find ones for 40777...
Yes there is a clear "m" between the 40 and the 777. The type is 0110 and the code is 070424YG

P

Projectdiy

I can imagine that float valve getting under that clip on the bracket without being under both sides. I will take it apart and check this before I do anything else. Then do a couple of oil changes.

StarTech

StarTech

Double check that zero as it maybe a nine.

All I am finding using M777-0110 is three 44M and one 49M series.

P

Projectdiy

No I just went out to verify. There is no question as they are very clear 44M777

P

Projectdiy

Star tech I can't believe I made such a mistake reading those numbers.
It is clearly 44M777. I don't know why I kept saying 40 when I'm looking at 44.

P

Projectdiy

I discovered my error.
The mod # is 44m777

P

Projectdiy

My mistake. It is 44M777.

P

Projectdiy

Yes there is a clear "m" between the 40 and the 777. The type is 0110 and the code is 070424YG
Mistake!!!!!
44M777, makes a big difference I'm sure.

P

Projectdiy

Scrubcadet, I realized my error after I responded. The mod # is 44m777. Not 40

P

Projectdiy

No I double checked the level and had it right on the mark. However I just checked the dipstick and got a STRONG gasoline smell. I'm thinking that the float valve is somehow not shutting off. I'm going to open the carb and check it out and then drain the oil and replace with fresh and see if I accomplish what I intended in the first place.
I really thank you guys !!
I drained all that gasoline saturated oil out of the crankcase. I got a new float valve and am about to go through and clean the carb.
In doing that I noticed that the solenoid on the fuel bowl doesn't release when I turn the key. Could this have caused the fuel to go into the crankcase.
I'm not going to put it back together until I get a new solenoid.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

No, You can either replace the solenoid or just snip off the metal plunger rod and be done with it, mower will work fine with out it. or sometimes a good cleaning will take care of it, i usually use WD40 to clean the plunger and the bore.

B

bertsmobile1

I drained all that gasoline saturated oil out of the crankcase. I got a new float valve and am about to go through and clean the carb.
In doing that I noticed that the solenoid on the fuel bowl doesn't release when I turn the key. Could this have caused the fuel to go into the crankcase.
I'm not going to put it back together until I get a new solenoid.
No
It is a common belief that is incorrect
The solenoid shoves a plug into the main jet passage stopping the venturi drawing fuel into the carburettor & hence the engine.
IF there is no air passing through the carburettor then nothing gets drawn through the main jet.
What happens is the float valve fails to stop the flow of fuel into the float bowl .
The float bowl over fills to the point that the fuel leaks out of the air vent.
Decades ago there used to be overflow tubes and you would see the fuel dribbleing out.
However this fuel that evaporates will cause life on he planet to cease to exist in the puny minds of the EPA so the drain & air passages have to be internal.
Thus you no longer see or smell the fuel spilling out because it is spilling into the engine so in place of you noticing it and fixing it early, you don't know it is happening till the entire contents of the fuel tank has ended up in the sump.
So now the EPA has caused 100 times the pollution that their idiot rules sought to prevent

P

Projectdiy

No, You can either replace the solenoid or just snip off the metal plunger rod and be done with it, mower will work fine with out it. or sometimes a good cleaning will take care of it, i usually use WD40 to clean the plunger and the bore.
Do you have an idea as to what caused all that fuel to end up in the crankcase?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Do you have an idea as to what caused all that fuel to end up in the crankcase?
Read what Bert posted above, #21

P

Projectdiy

Read what Bert posted above, #21
Yes I read that and it appears the float valve is the culprit here. Although I was very careful when I took the float out to make sure the valve was mounted correctly and it was. It appeared to be fine although I guess it could have gotten stuck somehow. The tip seemed to be fine as well. I have a new one to put in when I put it back together. Both head gaskets seemed fine as well, no sign of leakage.