Small mowers that can tow

dh1989

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm currently mowing 1/3 acre with a 21" Troy-Bilt push mower which has me stopping and dumping the bag at least 5x per mow. I don't mind the push mower, but I've been thinking about killing two birds with one stone and finding a riding mower than can move my lawn cart around. I have a steel 6 cubic foot lawn cart which I use to move a cord or two of firewood across the yard each year. The yard is mostly flat and I estimate the load is about 300 lbs with a full cart. I have two gates which have a 48" opening. It looks like most bagger attachments are going to be too wide on a 42" riding mower to make the opening, so I may need something in the 36" and smaller range.

I was thinking of a small rear engine rider but then I found out they aren't rated to tow any load. Can anyone recommend a new or used rider which would fit my needs?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put in a wider gate.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was gonna suggest a Toro Timecutter, They have 3 ranges, Tow / slow & Go.
but 300 lbs is way over their limit.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 33" Snapper rear engine rider. I too have 1/3 of an acre.

I tow a 48" core aerator in heavy clay soil. Put 8 cinder blocks on it at 43lbs each. Also have my 120lb wife sit on top of the blocks. Front yard has a slight grade uphill in one part. Simple math is 464lbs. Tows it just fine.

Admittedly there is a heavy strain on the mower. That clay is no joke trying to punch holes in it. Moisture has to be just right to get cores out of the turf. Worst part is turning the rig around. All those spoons binding up in the clay. Try to make slow wide turns.

It bags like no other, aerates, mulches and side slings. Never breaks down knock on wood. Deck belt is going on 10 years old now. Belt was in so-so shape when I got it. The grandkids kids kids will be mowing with it.

slomo

Last edited: