Small engine high temp shutdown

electricthot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a lovely little 6.5 Hp Husqvarna engine that was built for a snowthrower. I use it to power a 100 amp Mopar alternator as my auxilliary battery bank charger in an off-grid solar system. I live in a hot climate, NW Arizona, and since this engine was designed for "cold weather only" as the sticker plainly states on the engine, I would like to put a high-temp shut-off on the engine. Where on the engine would be the best location (with little or no disassembly), and at what temp should I shut it down?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a lovely little 6.5 Hp Husqvarna engine that was built for a snowthrower. I use it to power a 100 amp Mopar alternator as my auxilliary battery bank charger in an off-grid solar system. I live in a hot climate, NW Arizona, and since this engine was designed for "cold weather only" as the sticker plainly states on the engine, I would like to put a high-temp shut-off on the engine. Where on the engine would be the best location (with little or no disassembly), and at what temp should I shut it down?
Don't think it needs one. Use appropriate oil for your outdoor ambient air temp. Definitely no 5w-30 oil.

Check your engine manual for best recommendations.

You might need a straight SAE40 or 20w-50 oil per your temps.

I would remove the fan shroud and CLEAN the cooling fins yearly. As in do this NOW. This procedure is in your manual. Not just the fins but the top of the engine block too. Even a slight dirt coating will over heat these engines. If you can't see silver aluminum metal on the engine block, it's TOO DIRTY.

Screenshot_2021-07-13_17-13-25.png

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Being a snow blower engine, did you have an air filter on it?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some airplanes use cylinder heat temperature gauges. Ask an A&P rated mechanic what's available.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only real difference is snow engines may have a recirculating system on the exhaust to prevent the carb freezing
This can be blocked off .