slt1554 backup light won't turn on

SlopeMan2

Threads
I have a 2005 SLT 1554 cadet, with a 27hp Kohlar, that I bought new. It has performed flawlessly for the most part. But, lately the safety back up light does not come on. Every time my wife puts it in reverse, the PTO kicks out. She pushes the PTO in, then turns it back on with the engine at full throttle. That can't be good on the belt and clutch. I don't have the back up safety features on the ZTR, and get along just fine. Is there any way I can disable this safety feature? We do not have any kids around. Of all the mowers I have had without this feature, we have never had a problem with safety. We always look behind when we back up. Sure would appreciate some help before I have to replace the clutch.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
See page 71 & following after locating your SLT1554 Service Manual above. Remove mower deck & check PTO Clutch Air Gap at 3 windows, should be .012 - 015 with feeler gage. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
See page 10 in Operators Manual above: Full Throttle & PTO

Last edited:

SlopeMan2

Threads
See page 71 & following after locating your SLT1554 Service Manual above. Remove mower deck & check PTO Clutch Air Gap at 3 windows, should be .012 - 015 with feeler gage. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Ok, will try that. Thank you very much