Engine Slow to start

Steve Smith

Threads
My new Husqvarna with a Briggs engine is slow to start after it has sat for a while. I assume this is because all the gas has evaporated out of the carb and it takes a while for the fuel pump to send gas to the carb. Has anyone ever tried to install a squeeze bulb fuel primer like they use on boat motors? If it would work, it might save the ware and tear on my starter motor.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My new Husqvarna with a Briggs engine is slow to start after it has sat for a while. I assume this is because all the gas has evaporated out of the carb and it takes a while for the fuel pump to send gas to the carb. Has anyone ever tried to install a squeeze bulb fuel primer like they use on boat motors? If it would work, it might save the ware and tear on my starter motor.

Your gas shouldn't evaporate out of the carburetor. You have got a bad float and needle valve, not holding the gas in the carburetor. Or your fuel pump also has a one way check in it which may not be holding fuel pressure. Just how long does your mower set for the gas to evaporate, years?

mullins87

Threads
What do you mean by "slow to start"? Does it take several 5-10 seconds rounds of cranking before it will start? Or one round of cranking lasting 5-10 seconds? My mower takes roughly 5-6 seconds of cranking before it will start if it has set for more than a few hours. I can't say as I'm crazy with all that cranking, but it has been this way since day one. :frown:

Steve Smith

Threads
After the mower has sat for a day or two it takes 15 or 20 seconds of cranking with the starter for it to fire. It has been that way from the day I bought it new. I hate to put all the ware and tear on my starter motor. It will eventually have to be rebuilt, they all do. I was just thinking that on my boat motor I have a squeeze bulb that will prime the carb. It fires right up no mater how long it has sat. I like that. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a squeeze bulb on a lawn mower. Anyway, I have one one order to give it a try.

tx7

Threads
Check the choke first. If the model you have has the throttle and the choke together it is the most likely problem and easy to check.

Frank

mullins87

Threads
That does sound like the butterfly plate on the choke isn't closing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Isn't your boat gas tank pressurized and your mower gas tank is vented won't work ?

Steve Smith

Threads
No. My boat tank has a vent to atmosphere. The squeeze bulb is in the line from the tank to the fuel pump. When you squeeze the bulb, it pushes gas through the fuel pump into the carb float bowl.

mowitall.cl

Threads
When u say slow to start if u mean has to turn over alot before starting there sre a few easy things to check. One ceck the choke/throttle cables and make sure when full choke that the ckoke lever sticking out of carb, make sure it wont go any further torward choke if so choke cable anchor has more than likely let cable slip and now has less than full push n pull. Also newer gas caps dont vent as well if at all depends on how new. So when a unit sits somewhere where the heat might get to it or if hauling the gas will build pressure in the tank causing the needle in carb to pop off and let raw gas in cylinder so when u turn it over first rev of engine and plugs or plug hets raw shot of gas n somewhat fouls and all the while we have choke on because we dont know no better makeing it worse. In short try whith out choking n see it helps

OutyHusky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Choke is probably not fully on. With lever full up verify choke is actually fully on if not just adjust the cable retainer so that plate is fully closed.

As far as the gas cap goes just put it on snuggly not macho tight. If you turn it that extra 1/4 turn you crush the rubber and it collapses the vent holes in the cap and creates a vacuum in the tank as gas is being sucked out. That's why it always starts after you check if there's enough gas.