Slow-Motion Mower

Kolchak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bit of a mystery here. I was mowing the lawn, going at my usual speed. Suddenly, the mower's speed slowed down to a crawl. It didn't give any indication of something wrong (that I recall). It still worked and I was able to finish, but everything was moving slowly. I took a long look under it, and couldn't find the source of the problem. All of the belts were in place, as were pulleys, etc. The engine is brand new, and has only been used for one season. The gas line is clean and it has plenty of fresh oil. Now, a couple of things that my have a part in this drama. The previous week, I had to retighten the large black pulley (V-Pulley?) that is located under the seat. It had come loose, and the belt had slipped off (I've done this surgery before as well as belt replacements). Worked fine afterwards, until the current problem. As I was crossing the yard, I came across a large hex bolt (pictured), approximately 2" in length. I have NO idea where it came from (or if it is even a part of the mower). There didn't seem to be any missing bolts underneath when I checked. Mower is a Troy Pony model 13WN77KS011. Any ideas?

Resized_20210715_164807.jpeg

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the mower deck out from under the tractor and take a close look. Look at the underside of the drive system.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks to me like it is a metric bolt and painted white. This may be a clue where it would come from. Make sure you are looking at the top and underneath the unit.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I believe that's a standard L9 bolt which is a higher tensile than Grade 8. What's the Diameter of the bolt?
I've looked through the entire parts list at all the fasteners.. don't see any exact matches (same grade) of course someone could have swapped it out at some point or another. unless you bought the mower new.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The PTO pulley bolt on this a 3.25" Long by 7/16-20 bolt, unless it was replaced by this L9...
1626473114547.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct that those long bolts are normally use on most PTO systems, but this unit uses a simple stacked pulley, where I’ve seen shorter bolts with that heavy flat and lock washers used.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You are correct that those long bolts are normally use on most PTO systems, but this unit uses a simple stacked pulley, where I’ve seen shorter bolts with that heavy flat and lock washers used.
I read right over where it said it was a new engine so that could in fact be the PTO bolt...

Gord Baker

Threads
It appears to be the Stud that holds on the Electric Clutch to me. There should also be a key. Have you checked rear axle/wheel bolts, the centre one, some with keys? Idler pulley may be missing a stud.