skag maintainence

bro mark

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2008 tiger cub that has approx 4-500 hrs on it (hr meter died at 70hrs). Oil changes and lubrications have always been done at recommended intervals (by me). Have had no problems. Getting ready to do the spring "get her ready" routine. Belts show no sign of wear (reckon I need to change them anyway?). What about blade shaft bearings? I have never replaced anything on this mower with the exception of air and fuel filters. I suppose it would be a good idea to replace the hydraulic fluid and filter also. BTW, awesome forum, wish I would have found this sooner. :cool:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to this great forum...
Fluid change intervals are usually manufacture recommended...Having said that I know some folks that NEVER change hydraulic fluids and some that change every spring ... I think if you actually had your fluids tested you would find that under normal conditions they would go a LONG time without 'needing' to be changed...
I try to change my hydraulic fluid every 300 to 500 hours, depending on what equipment it's in....

Belts and normal ware items if you look at them every now and again, check for damage and replace them when needed OR when they break. It is usually not a big deal to replace a belt after it fails... You will just need to be familiar with how it is suppose to be installed...
If you grease all zerks regularly and keep an eye on idler pulleys and other moving parts you will be on top of any maintenance issues that can come up... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh... on a side note...
I would replace the hour meter... It looks like you are putting around 150 hours a year on your mower... not really working it hard but probably more than a typical 'home use' ...
Your actual hours could be a lot more ... or less . :smile:KennyV

2810guy

Threads
I purchased a new skag tigercat ztm in 2010, put approx 150 hours on it and loved almost every minute I ran it. We mow approx 37 acres a week at home and then the neighbors lawn too so mowing is a serious project here but. . . very much enjoyed! I definately would replace the hour meter if only for maintainance reasons. This machine is built rock solid and timed maintainance i believe will make this machine last almost for ever! As for changing belts, my dad was a mechanic for about 50 years and he told me if it doesn't show wear or damage why waste the money? Simple oil changes and a little grease go a lone way keeping a piece of equipment running like new! With money tight as it is now why spend more than you have to? Please ! leave some for the Goverment to waste.. . . John

S_Perreault

Threads
the spindle bearings should last you a long time - (i have 2000 hours on my cub and they are fine) they will "growl" and just plain sound wrong if they are in trouble

S_Perreault

Threads
BTW, 2810guy,

37 acres a week at home?

who are you dale earnhardt? - just kidding lol

enjoy the ride