Simplicity zt 1644 electrical puzzle

prangster

Threads
I have this posted in the Simplicity forum but I'm hoping that by casting a wider net I might get back to mowing before the supply house closes for the Memorial Day weekend.

The two wires at my PTO clutch were mangled the other day while mowing. After cutting out the bad and splicing in a new section I find that the electrical system still shows no signs of life when trying to crank the engine. I tested all the safety switches and the circuit breaker and found the PTO switch to be bad. I replaced it but still no go. I can get the engine running by hotwiring the starter but if I release the parking brake the engine dies. Same thing when engaging the PTO. I did notice that the PTO clutch shows an open circuit which seems wrong to this shade tree mechanic. I have schematics but am not skilled at reading them. I didn't mind replacing the PTO switch as it tested bad but I don't want to spring for a new clutch if I don't have to. It seems likely that the clutch wires shorted but I didn't see any signs of burning or melting when I replaced the torn up wires. Any ideas out there? Thanks for your response!

Simplicity ZT 1644
tractor pkg #1693472
serial #00715
mfg #1693473

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up the schematics.

prangster

Threads
Schematic ignition and shutdown circuits.jpg
Post up the schematics.

I bypassed the kill circuit by wiring straight to the mag. from the ignition switch and now the PTO works normally so at least I'm not out $250 for a new clutch :)