Simplicity Regent Steering Rod?

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Hello LMF, I have a Simplicity with a steering rod? issue and was wondering if anyone had suggestions.
Details:
Simplicity Regent
B&G 22 HP
44" Cut
Part No. 2690575
Serial No. 2012695011

Issue is the steering rod (guessing that is what it is called) has fallen out at the ball joint that connects to the geared piece that mates with the geared steering shaft.

Looking to repair and/or replace. I'll see if I can upload a couple of pictures.

LeakyBriggs

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a different tack
I get a female tie rod end, machine out the threads cut the end off the old drag link & braise the new one on .
If the rod is a standard diameter I cut the square bit where the ball used go off the end , thread the old drag link then fit a female tie rod end over the end .
I do this because I have the gear and those parts are near impossible to get in OZ.
A temporary fix can be made by removing the ball end, forcing it back into the drag link then centre punching deeply around the hole to burr over the metal to retain the ball.
3 or 4 either side usually works and do not over do it or you will jam the ball in place, it has to be able to rotate .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just as a note the 3/8 drag link is NLA and the 5/16 steering sector gear has been superseded to the 3/8 drag link one. Basically you could install the 5/16 drag link but need to install a bushing on the 5/16 screw to make it fit the 3/8 hole in the sector gear and steering spindle.

Now the drag link rod is supposedly 5/8 so the cut end would have to be reduce to 3/8 if threaded for a thread on ball joint. Probably easier to squarely cut to the exact length and weld on the ball joint, making to align it correctly.

Specs on the replacement ball joint.
1718538294052.png