Repairs Simplicity javelin drive belt issue

snydert08

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Simplicity javelin 20 hp kohler (which I just short blocked) with a 38" deck. I have an issue with the drive belt riding up the tensioner pulley and falling off and just rubbing until the belt breaks. I have gone through 3 belts now, and even took the pulley and pto off to check it out. Are there supposed to be spacers or some sort of thrust washers in between the bottom of the block where the crank comes out and the pulley to help line up the tensioner and the pulley or do I have a bad tensioner? I am done going through belts and wondered if anyone knew a fix to this? I got the mower for free because of a cracked block and fixed it, and now I want to use it(or sell it) since it only has 90 hours on the whole thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
SIMPLICITY LAWN TRACTOR KEEPS BREAKING BELTS ISSUE; THE FACTORY BOLT HOLDING THE IDLER ASSEMBLY'S TOGETHER IS A GRADE 5, 3/8 X 1 1/2" LONG BOLT. THIS BOLT WILL NOT HANDLE THE TORQUE AND STRESS FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. TO CORRECT ISSUE, PURCHASE A GRADE 8, 7/16" BOLT 2 1/2" LONG WITH A SHOULDER 1 1/2" LONG, SHOULDER AREA IS FROM BOTTOM OF BOLT HEAD BEFORE THREADS START, AND A NEW SELF LOCKING NUT. A DRILL PRESS WITH VISE IS NECESSARY FOR ACCURACY. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A DRILL PRESS WITH A DRILL PRESS VISE AT HOME, TAKE DECK TO A MACHINE SHOP. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRILL BUSHINGS AND WASHERS IF YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO A DRILL PRESS WITH VISE, SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY AND OR DEATH MAY OCCUR! REMOVE DECK, FOR SAFETY REASONS HAVE SOMEONE HELP YOU HOLD DECK UPRIGHT ON ROLLERS AND LET REST ON SOMETHING SOLID LIKE A BRICK OR STONE WALL AND USE A SCOTCH BLOCK AGAINST ROLLERS. DISASSEMBLE IDLER ASSEMBLY AND INSPECT FOR WEAR, BUSHINGS AND IDLER ARMS AS WELL AS IDLER PULLEY'S AND SPRINGS. DRILL BUSHINGS, WASHERS, DECK AND BRACE WITH 7/16 COBALT OR TITANIUM DRILL BIT. INSTALL NEW GRADE 8 BOLT AND WASHER, GREASE SHANK AND BUSHINGS THOROUGHLY, COMPLETE ASSEMBLY AND INSTALL AND TIGHTEN SELF LOCKING NUT. REINSTALL DECK AND BELT. THE SHOULDER OF THE NEW BOLT WILL HANDLE THE TWISTING AND TURNING, TORQUE AND STRESS OF THE IDLER ASSEMBLY'S. JUST A REMINDER, THREADS ON A BOLT SHOULD NOT COME INTO CONTACT WITH ANY MOVING PART. GOOD LUCK!