Simplicity Conquest - Dash display not working

mweishaar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,
I've got what I believe to be a 2004 Simplicity Conquest that I was preparing to sell. Anyway, I just replaced the battery in the tractor because I ASSumed that was why it wouldn't start; however, I get the same results with the brand new battery. When I turn the key on, I get absolutely nothing from the dash display but I did verify that the display is getting power. If the dash display is truly out, would that also prevent the tractor from turning over (not even a click)? I verified that I have 12+ volts at the starter when the key is in the on position - I seem to be getting 12+ volts everywhere that I think I should be but no go.

The plug going to the display looks to have a constant 12V in one of the pins but only gets 12V in a few other pins when the key is on.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mark

bkeller500

Threads
blown fuse? Seat safety switch? PTO switch? Brake switch? Loose ground somewhere?

mweishaar

Forum Newbie
Threads
blown fuse? Seat safety switch? PTO switch? Brake switch? Loose ground somewhere?
I had those same thoughts (except for the loose ground) but I don't think any of the safety switches would cause the dash display to not light up and I'm not seeing a fuse block on any of the parts diagrams either. I'm just not sure whether the dash display has absolutely anything to do with allowing the tractor to actually turn over - maybe they are totally unrelated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bkeller500

Threads
I had a similar problem one time on my Conquest ( I don't have it anymore ) ( wouldn't start) and if I remember correctly, I disconnected a couple of the wiring harnesses and reconnected them ( reseated them) and presto...it started. I think it happened when I was hosing it down as it was pretty dirty at time. I then wrapped the connections in plastic and it never happened again. It's possible one of them is not seated well enough. When you got nothing, you try everything. Good luck!

mweishaar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Needless to say, I feel like an idiot! I replaced 2 batteries yesterday - one in a Prestige that is at my mom's house and then the second in my Conquest. The battery in the Prestige is a group size 51 with top posts and automobile style connectors instead of the U1 in my Conquest that is made to put a bolt through... well, the 51 had a cover over the positive terminal and worked all fine and dandy; when I hooked up the U1, I just ASSuMEd that the cover was on the positive terminal. Welp, that was not the case and I had the battery hooked up backwards.

Sorry to waste your time bkeller500 but if anyone else runs into the same sort of problem, check your battery connections first and foremost. I guess I should have paid more attention to my meter because I'm sure it showed negative on my voltage readings. ?‍♂️

bkeller500

Threads
Needless to say, I feel like an idiot! I replaced 2 batteries yesterday - one in a Prestige that is at my mom's house and then the second in my Conquest. The battery in the Prestige is a group size 51 with top posts and automobile style connectors instead of the U1 in my Conquest that is made to put a bolt through... well, the 51 had a cover over the positive terminal and worked all fine and dandy; when I hooked up the U1, I just ASSuMEd that the cover was on the positive terminal. Welp, that was not the case and I had the battery hooked up backwards.

Sorry to waste your time bkeller500 but if anyone else runs into the same sort of problem, check your battery connections first and foremost. I guess I should have paid more attention to my meter because I'm sure it showed negative on my voltage readings. ?‍♂️
Glad it all worked out......That's the one mistake I have not made.........yet! LOL

Chuter

Threads
I've seen some green mowers with the battery hooked up backwards that either fried the whole harness or some critical component! I think you were very lucky!

wekjo

Threads
Stupid moves, years ago I used to pull my conquest 54" deck off twice a year for cleaning and to put on a sharp set of blades. Was easier for me to do this with deck upside down. This led to many instances of upside down blades, effect of beer and upsidedownedness I guess. Anyhow never actually put the deck back on with blades that way. However I just added a 2017 Broadmoor, working the kinks out of it from last owner, never changed filters, never lubed, missing spacers in front wheel axles causing side to side wheel slop, and the blades were all upside down!