Simplicity Briggs Charging question

tdenstedt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Simplicity 14Hp Regent Hydro. It has 1 wire from the stator then down to the voltage regulator. I'm getting 43 vac out of the stator, then im only getting 6 vdc out of the voltage regulator so I bought a new voltage regulator and at full throttle and still no change. what could cause the low voltage?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would help if you would post the model number of the engine so we can see what stator you have. Something to check right quick, what is the voltage from the battery to the voltage regulator. If you aren't getting 12v to the regulator from the battery, it won't work correctly.

tdenstedt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 28PTTT, TYPE 0641-AI. The battery is bad and i'm getting 8 vdc there but I would think I should be getting 12 to 14 vdc to charge it....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, your model number is 28P777-0641-A1. Second, if there is only one wire coming from the stator, that wire will connect to a diode to convert AC current to DC current to charge the battery. There is no voltage regulator. If it has a two wire coupler, you have a dual circuit. I know that this website is not for your engine, but it does have a very good section on how to test the charging system.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/03_272144VanguardTwinCylinderOHV.pdf

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They may call that a voltage regulator, but it does not regulate voltage, just converts AC to DC current. It does not relulate the voltage, glorified diode. If you read the manual I posted, you will find out how to test your system.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They may call that a voltage regulator, but it does not regulate voltage, just converts AC to DC current. It does not relulate the voltage, glorified diode. If you read the manual I posted, you will find out how to test your system.

If that is the stator that I think, then Rivets is right about the regulator/diode.

tdenstedt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I changed the battery and its now charging! Thanks!