Simplicity axion starting problem, just clicks

Apopek

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I’ve got a simplicity axion zero turn mower. 24hp model 2690644. It’s been sitting for a couple years and I’m having a hard time getting it to crank over. When I turn the key it will just click once when In the run position and does nothing else... so far I have checked wires and everything looks okay, replaced the starter and starter solenoid, new ignition switch, plugs and battery..nothing has worked, still just clicks once when key is turned.. I have included a picture of where i hear the click coming from... it does have a electric mower deck and I’m able to lower and heighten that so I know I’m getting some kind of power.. I’m really at a lose and feeing pretty defeated at this point.. Any help or insight on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated! I have not replaced the fuse circuit, safety switch for the seat or adjusted the arms to see if they are in the correct start position. Could any of those things be a problem or is it something else I’m missing.
thanks again!

Attachments

• 71A82DFB-7F19-4E27-91C2-0CB77C1DF401.jpg
    71A82DFB-7F19-4E27-91C2-0CB77C1DF401.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 7
  • B1412B4F-D1F2-4AD1-A4C7-73CFFB7F40F1.jpeg
    B1412B4F-D1F2-4AD1-A4C7-73CFFB7F40F1.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 8A626179-A15B-466C-ACBF-4117F1FCB868.jpg
    8A626179-A15B-466C-ACBF-4117F1FCB868.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 7

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes absolutely, I suggest you read your Operators & Parts Manuals cover to cover, a troubleshooting section should be in Operators Manual. Does your mower stay in a climate controlled garage, shed, outside uncovered? Does your new battery have enough CCA'S, cold cranking amps of 230 in Parts Manual? Your engine needs a good cleaning, do not use water will cause electrical & mechanical problems. Gasoline is probably stale so drain into appropriate container & dispose of properly at recycling facility. Use Star Tron fuel treatment in clean gas can per instructions on bottle label. Check air filter for replacement. Do yourself a favor & stop changing out parts so you can locate root of the problem & save you money. Use a multimeter tool to check voltage at battery. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did it start when it was parked. Or was it parked because it would not start?

Apopek

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes absolutely, I suggest you read your Operators & Parts Manuals cover to cover, a troubleshooting section should be in Operators Manual. Does your mower stay in a climate controlled garage, shed, outside uncovered? Does your new battery have enough CCA'S, cold cranking amps of 230 in Parts Manual? Your engine needs a good cleaning, do not use water will cause electrical & mechanical problems. Gasoline is probably stale so drain into appropriate container & dispose of properly at recycling facility. Use Star Tron fuel treatment in clean gas can per instructions on bottle label. Check air filter for replacement. Do yourself a favor & stop changing out parts so you can locate root of the problem & save you money. Use a multimeter tool to check voltage at battery. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
Thanks for the reply. I did download the manual a couple weeks ago and have been going through it. It’s been outside so could I have a major electrical issue going on? Battery is correct cca and I tested with multimeter and have over 12. I know the starter was bad for sure. Bench tested bad. And the other things I just tried hoping it would be one of those problems. I did drain the fuel and replaced the fuel filter and air filter as well. There was a mouse nest all in the engine and air box so I did a deep cleaning to get all that out but all wires seemed to be okay. One was starting to get chewed but seemed okay and I wrapped up with electrical tape. Not sure what other testing I should do with multi meter?
thanks again!

Apopek

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did it start when it was parked. Or was it parked because it would not start?
It was running when parked but was having some problems starting and I believe some over heating issues. Thought I needed a new battery but maybe it was just the starter. Bench tested and was bad so was hoping that was my issue

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you start remove the spark lugs , squirt some oil, Wd40 Innox whatever down the plug holes & turn the engine over a doven or so times by hand .
Use booster cables directly from the battery ( or known good battery ) direct to the starter motor

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The one click U are hearing is probably the fuel shut off solenoid. Had to go and see what the mower actually looked like. I am working on one of these mowers they built for sears. There's so much wrong with it, it's probably not worth fixing. Exhaust valve guide worked out bent push rod broke one aluminum needs cylinder head. Needs all spindle bearings idlers belts spindle housings blades. Could be a bad PTO switch.