Silver Series 6.5hp Tecumseh runs for 5 seconds and quits. Any ideas?

fiscokid

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Silver Series 6.5hp Tecumseh runs for 5 seconds and quits. Any ideas?
Try some Seafoam gas additive before doing anything that may alter your carb

Joed756

Threads
Hello, and thank you in advance for any help you may have. I have a Silver Series Lawn Boy with a 6.5hp Tecumseh engine and electric start. There is no throttle control or choke. I runs for about 5 seconds when I spray it with starting fluid and then quits. This morning it did run for 5 seconds on it's own fuel, but then quit too. I took the carb apart and cleaned it carefully. It is now the cleanest carb on the planet. I put it all back together, and I get the same problem. The fuel tank is clean and fuel flows properly, and the gas is new premium. Oil level is full. So with my limited (carpenter by trade) knowledge, I'm stumped. Can anyone suggest anything to look into ? Thanks!
Inside the cleanest carb on the planet is a very small filter, it's bowl shaped. Work that filter out and clean it, as well as the area behind it.

Joed756

Threads
Won't that get you a face full of gasoline?

sallyphilip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, and thank you in advance for any help you may have. I have a Silver Series Lawn Boy with a 6.5hp Tecumseh engine and electric start. There is no throttle control or choke. I runs for about 5 seconds when I spray it with starting fluid and then quits. This morning it did run for 5 seconds on it's own fuel, but then quit too. I took the carb apart and cleaned it carefully. It is now the cleanest carb on the planet. I put it all back together, and I get the same problem. The fuel tank is clean and fuel flows properly, and the gas is new premium. Oil level is full. So with my limited (carpenter by trade) knowledge, I'm stumped. Can anyone suggest anything to look into ? Thanks!
Are you cleaning the small holes in screw that hold the cup on

enigma-2

Threads
Reason it runs five seconds is, its running off the fuel of the primer. Your main jet is clogged. This video may help (silver series tecumseh).

vonrick33

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I've had a similar problem with my mower. The float was sticking in the carb. Try cleaning the carb. and float.

tagpop

Threads
Air pressure is good way with canned air(like for computer cleaning) and wd40 is good way to clean the little holes + a small gauge wire like everyone is mentioning. Hopefully you have removed the carb and cleaning the bowl, insuring the needle valve is moving up an down freely. Blow out any holes that you find in carb body. Are you getting fuel flowing out on you and the mower when you take the bowl off; needle valve may be working intermittently (no smooth). Is it a plastic float?

dougmacm

Threads
FYI guys ... 27 replies and not a peep from the OP !!

Doug