Signing up with Stens

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everything can be a little over whelming at times. Being backed up on work, waiting on parts, and doing everything yourself (including the secretary work, pick up and delivery guy, stock boy, etc etc etc).
Just about the time you get real backed up and confused, someone brings in some tar baby that I either can't figure out. Or can't get parts for.
Yeah, fixing the equipment is the easy part. Being a one man show can be fun trying to wear all the hats at once.

BriggsMST

Threads
Yes, I know all about the hat deal. What kills me is the pick up and deliveries. I order parts once a week or try too, once a week. I have a hard time keeping up with my inventory, thats my biggest down fall. I buy shop packs as often as i can. Thats a bit of help

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a pretty good idea yesterday. You may remember, the building i'm in is an old service station, turned into a radiator shop. The owner added 4 bays on the other side. I moved into the radiator side while the tire & front in guys were gone due to the covid thing.
They've opened back up. But a HUGE amount of their business went to the other tire shops and hasn't come back.

Well they spend a lot of time over there doing nothing. So yesterday, I talked the front end guy into doing bearings on an 4 wheeler (ATV) for $20. And the other guy into getting some of the stuff off another ATV so I can get to the carburetor. Since it's his dad's 4 wheeler (the 2nd one) I don't think i'll have to pay him anything. But I probably will.

The point. Having extra hands doing stuff was like taking a friggin bubble bath. It took a lot of stress off me, and allowed me to concentrate on some of the more urgent stuff.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There he goes getting big time and hiring employees. TV commercials will be next. LoL. My accountant told me that as a sole proprietorship LLC that if i ever pay someone to do any work for the business i had to have a copy of their personal insurance and workmans comp and document any pay or compensation. Well all that won't happen.
She told me the story of one of her clients with a small lawn service had a so called independent contractor get hurt bad on the job. Long story short the legal fees bankrupted him and he still has a large judgement for medical fees hanging over him. He lost the business and his house.

BriggsMST

Threads
Write a bill out and make it out to sub contracting for services, naturally get insurance copy and all that happy jazz and send him a 1099 at tax time. Thats always an alternative. I could never hire anyone Id be broke, might as well shut the doors right now. It costs way more than I anticipated.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It appears that too many undocumented independent contractors were falling off roofs and getting things cut off by mowers that they passed a law where folks using the "he's an independent contractor so not my problem if he gets hurt" defense no longer valid. If you pay someone to do something and they get hurt doing it and they don't have insurance or the insurance won't pay because of a workplace injury it falls to the person or business who paid them to cover their medical expenses.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
There he goes getting big time and hiring employees. TV commercials will be next. LoL
He'll be like Mike Lindell and we'll see him every 2 minutes....
"Introducing my mower seat, the most comfortable mower seat your butt will ever sit on"

BriggsMST

Threads
Thats exactly why I work by myself, I dont have too baby sit as well as go and make sure the work that needs too be done is done correctly and tomy specs. If something goes out the door and I overlooked something stupid its my fault. But again thats why I struggle operating a business having too do everything by myself, nothing gets over looked. Dont get me wrong I do stupid things, hell just the other day I tried too start a smaller briggs and forgot too put the plug wire on..... LMAO if thats all I screw up then its a good day. I will be picking your guys brain here shortly, I have a poulan pro 5020av that im about ready to throw in the dumpster, Ill cross that bridge if I get too it. One thing left to try. You guys will be the first too know.