Should I trade?

Cornfield

Threads
when my STX38 died, I learned that the model was discontinued. I now have a JD x330 42” with B&S engine with 101 hours on it. I think I bought it new 3-4 years ago.I’ve had the oil changed a few times. I really wanted a 36” deck but the JD dealer thought the units that small were junk. This is for residential 3/4 acre lot with a house and garage). The x330 is too damn big for storing in the garage. It’s equipped with a mulching kit and the twin bagger.
A dealer that I’ve had good experiences with has a Toro Timecutter 34” ZTR. It has a Kohler engine and fabricated deck.
1) Should I trade?
2) what should the JD be worth in a trade?

the photos are both stock photos as mine are too large to attach.

Attachments

• D174EC1F-FA97-4300-B8E9-5FA04707B741.png
    D174EC1F-FA97-4300-B8E9-5FA04707B741.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 0E95394F-D094-44E5-AAFE-22E03208B99D.jpeg
    0E95394F-D094-44E5-AAFE-22E03208B99D.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
You will probably like the cut from the Toro much better than the JD......IMO. The Toro will easily handle the 3/4 acre. As far as trade in value......you might be a little better off selling it on craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Those would be good places to search for comparable selling prices to establish value. Good luck!

DK35vince

Threads
If you also add the bulky bagger on the zero turn like you have on the JD what are you gaining by size ??

Cornfield

Threads
I no longer need a bagger as long as I add a mulch kit to the Toro

bkeller500

Threads
Mulching is not for everyone nor for every lawn. There are issues with under deck clipping accumulations, and issues with discharge of clippings creating windrows that need to be considered. Many of us have tried mulching and mulching options to try to maximize the benefits of mulching and it dosen't always work out. Make sure you will be happy with side discharge because it's likely you will need to do so if or when mulching is not your greatest option. IMO......I would choose to cut more often ( taking smaller bites) rather than mulching and having to scrape the underside of the deck after each mowing.

Cornfield

Threads
I mow 1 to 2 times per week in the Spring, when it’s growing fast. I like the mulch in the Fall to get rid of leaves, rather than raking or bagging. I guess I could try chopping the leaves by running over them multiple times. If I leave the chute in. I’ll raise it with a bungee cord for garage storage.
I could pick up a used towable sweeper. I had one when I had the STX38

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I remember right, didn’t you just purchase a Toro My-Ride Z-turn for your model air plane club? If so are you dealing with the same dealer in your search for this new personal mower? Sounded like you were pleased with the unit your club purchased, as well as the service provided by the dealer. I think you would be happy with the 34” TimeCutter ZTR. Don’t know what year your JD is, but this is what I recommend. If it is a 2021 unit $2200. If it is a 2020 unit $1800. If it is a 2019 unit $1500. What do I mean by this? Depending on the year these are the minimum prices I would trade in the unit for. If he doesn’t allow these minimum prices as trade-in, then I would sell it out right. I don’t know what trade-in values are in your neck of the woods, but I do know that many areas of the country are lean on good used equipment. Read my signature!

Cornfield

Threads
Yes, I bought a Toro Titan Max at Russo Power Equipment and have been very pleased. While the 34” is A Timecutter rather than a Titan, I think it is a well built machine.

Cornfield

Threads
They are sold out on the 34" till next April so I guess I'll keep the JD

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bummer, I had a Toro 4260 Timecutter 42" for 7 years & it was super. When I wanted a bigger mower, I listed mine on Marketplace, that evening the ad went public I began getting a list of interested parties.. By next day I had 18 potential buyers. that
1st on the list came & bought it on the spot.. Got all but $300. (taxes etc included), I paid initially 7 years prior.. Used machines seem to be hot, if well kept & show good pics..