Shop/ Repair Manuals

skip49

Threads
Having a little difficulty locating this. I picked up a new Raptor XDX today, and am looking for a shop manual.
Question, is there a manual available in print, or will I have to download and print from PDF file online?
Thanks,
Skip

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Virtually no one does hard copy any more because of the costs
Even a fully digital print run with an auto collate & bind would have to be done in 10,000 item print runs
Even they they would work out at about $ 5.00 to $ 10.00 a piece at the printer
Then there is warehousing & distribution which can bump the cost up to better than $ 50 a hit and this is before you ad the prepress production costs + dealer / distributor profit .
So it is just uneconomical to do even worse is a change is a major component supplier can render all of the copies sitting on a shelf accumulating costs redundant .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is still one OEM that does only print copies of service manuals which for me is a pain and that is Honda.

Digital copies are so much easier to search and if needed a section printed out. Besides I like to store the copies both onsite and offsite, just in case my local system fails. I even make my own notes in these digital copies. Another plus is that I don't have to delicate a complete room for them, keep it sprayed for silverfish which tends to eat of paper manuals, or have mice chew up and piss all over the expensive manuals.

Just be aware that some digital copies are out of date too; unless, verify before either purchasing them or downloading them. I recently downloaded a JD manual that was 5 years old and JD have updated it but my source had not. Thankfully most the info was correct except about removing the axle hubs which something I already knew about found previous attempts. Just wish it was possible as removing the transaxles are a pain just to replace an axle seal.

skip49

Threads
Thanks friends, I’m going today to buy black ink, so that I can download and print them. I’ll make my own dad-gum manual.
Thanks again!!
Skip

clubairth

Threads
skip49 I did the same thing when I was still working so I could use my work's printer and paper supplies! I have the Operators manual and the parts manual both from Hustler and I added a couple of more things.

My mower is a Raptor SD 54" so a different model than yours so no point in me listing the manual numbers as yours will be different.

Hydro-Gear Transaxle service manual. Mine is August 2013 #BLN-52441. This covers the ZT-2800 that's on the low end Raptor like what I have and also covers the higher end 3100,3200 and 3400 versions.

Kawasaki service manual for FR651V, FR691V and FR730V engines. Part #99920-2249-04.

Now what was interesting is that the manuals all have different service intervals listed?

Kawasaki says 100 hours for engine oil change but only change the oil filter every 200 hours.
Hustler says weekly or every 40 hours for oil and filter??
So far I have been following the 40 hour guideline. Probably too soon?

The trans-axles are also listed with different service intervals.
Hydro-Gear says the first change of filters and fluids should be at 75-100 hours but after that only every 400 hours!
Hustler says 75 hours for the first change too but then every 200 hours/2 years after that for both filters and fluids.
So far I have been using 100 hours filter and fluid change intervals which again is probably too soon. Not sure where I got the 100 hours from??

Since the hydro's are a pain to work on and especially purge the air. I might go to 200 hours but the hydro oil is very black and it does run very hot so maybe the 100 hours would be better.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kawasaki & Hydro Gear service intervals are for the units without any consideration of their use .
Sp no matter what they are fitted to that is the maximum run time between services .
Hustler's service intervals are for the units when fitted IN THEIR MOWER allowing for dirt dust heat etc .

Hustler never want to see your mower in the workshop because some thing failed so they use a shorter service interval
And if this is done at the dealer then a good tech will pick up other faults before they become failures

skip49

Threads
Thanks guys. I made hard copies of both the Service Manual and the Parts Manual. Both are really comprehensive. Oh,and yes, I too follow the service intervals in the Operator’s Manual. At least I did with my Raptor SD. I only have 3 hours on the XDX, but plan to have it for a long time.
Skip