Series 080000 engine reliability and out-of-gas symptoms

GearHead36

Threads
I recently bought a cheap used Bolens 11A-020W765 mower with the 125cc Briggs 08P502-0165 engine, which has the plastic carb and foam air filter. I got it for trim work, but before I needed to use it for that, I needed to use it to mow a small yard. The first time I tried to mow with it, it ran for about 30 seconds, then acted like it was running out of gas. It slowed, sputtered, then died. It wasn't out of gas. I'd just filled it. I cranked it again, and it did the same. I removed the gas cap, and tried again. No difference. 10 minutes later, I tried again. This time, it acted the same, except right before it died, it suddenly cleared up, and started running perfectly, and ran fine for the rest of the mow (about 30 minutes).

Background... DOM is 10-6-2020, and the oil was black, so I suspect it had never been changed, but it was at the right level. The air filter cover was broken, but the air filter was there, and didn't look too bad. I took the mower apart, pressure washed it, sharpened the blade, changed the oil, replaced the air filter and cover, oiled the air filter, and did a valve adjustment. It cranked multiple times cold on the 2nd pull, but I never let it run for long.

I transported it 6 hrs in a truck. When I went to mow, I overfilled the gas tank (I hate those EPA mandated gas can spouts). Then I tilted it over to drain off the gas that was sitting on the deck. I let it sit for 10 minutes to let the gas evaporate. Then tried to mow with it, and got the above behavior. What would cause this? I would think that trash in the carb would result in no start at all, or flooding. The oil level didn't change, so it wasn't leaking gas into the crankcase, and I didn't see any gas leaking externally. Maybe trash in the fuel line or tank? Since it cleared up, would that mean that the trash is now in the bowl of the carb? How about water in the carb? I didn't remove the carb, so I have no idea what it looks like.

Since the mowing above, I've used it once for trim work, running it for about 5 minutes at a time, for a total of, I'd say, 30 minutes. It ran fine.

Overall, I'm curious at how well the series 080000 engines hold up if properly maintained and not abused. I've seen comments that shop owners almost never see equipment that's been properly maintained. Does that apply to series 080000 engines? I know that many don't like that engine.

I'm asking this before I get rid of my Toro Recycler with electric start, Personal Pace, and Briggs flathead engine, which used to be my primary mower. Now I have a much bigger yard and a ZTR, and want a simple push mower for trim work.

I don't want to get rid of a good running mower if it's replacement isn't going to be reliable. I find that on the Toro, I have more problems with the PP and electric start than I do with the engine. So a simple mower like this Bolens, I'm hoping, will be less maintenance. I WOULD go for an old flathead, but I'm getting concerned that parts are becoming NLA, or soon will be.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to let you know, that engine is about the cheapest engine Briggs makes.

GearHead36

Threads
Just to let you know, that engine is about the cheapest engine Briggs makes.
Yes, I know. But that still doesn't mean that it won't last if cared for. That's why I asked about it. I know some engines, like Inteks, can die even if cared for.