Sell my Honda HRR2163TDA and buy a Troy-Bilt TB230?

gbkd80

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been watching a lot of "geektofreak" YouTube lol - he uses a TB230 and seems to really love those mowers. I'm tempted to get one myself as I have a small yard, but I already have a perfect working Honda HRR2163TDA that I've had for like 12 years and it still works and runs like the day I got it. Starts on the first pull, never had any maintenance. It's more of a gluttony thing; I clearly don't need it, I just want it to have a new mower. I like the way they feel when I've played with them on the floor at Lowes... but I'm sure you're all going to say keep the Honda, right?

Threads
Been watching a lot of "geektofreak" YouTube lol - he uses a TB230 and seems to really love those mowers. I'm tempted to get one myself as I have a small yard, but I already have a perfect working Honda HRR2163TDA that I've had for like 12 years and it still works and runs like the day I got it. Starts on the first pull, never had any maintenance. It's more of a gluttony thing; I clearly don't need it, I just want it to have a new mower. I like the way they feel when I've played with them on the floor at Lowes... but I'm sure you're all going to say keep the Honda, right?

I will tell you "geektofreak" is one of the people who keeps me inspired to do lawn care. :thumbsup: I would say keep or upgrade to another Honda. But I'm a Honda fan. But if you liked the feel of the TroyBilt, go for it!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will tell you "geektofreak" is one of the people who keeps me inspired to do lawn care. :thumbsup: I would say keep or upgrade to another Honda. But I'm a Honda fan. But if you liked the feel of the TroyBilt, go for it!

Yeah I've watched his "geektofreak" You-tube exploits :laughing: Definitely need to keep or upgrade to the Honda and I'm not really a Honda fan. "Geektofreak" is always good for a laugh.

Threads
Yeah I've watched his "geektofreak" You-tube exploits :laughing: Definitely need to keep or upgrade to the Honda and I'm not really a Honda fan. "Geektofreak" is always good for a laugh.

Yeah the more I think about it, I would definitely say keep or upgrade the Honda. Although the TroyBilt lasts "geektofreak" the whole year, keep in mind it is kind of a disposable mower for him, and he buys a new one every spring. The Honda will last you longer.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah the more I think about it, I would definitely say keep or upgrade the Honda. Although the TroyBilt lasts "geektofreak" the whole year, keep in mind it is kind of a disposable mower for him, and he buys a new one every spring. The Honda will last you longer.

I'd say BEWARE of the GeektoFreak. I've watched a lot of his video's. Have you ever checked out the condition of his lawns? I really like the one where he takes the gate apart so he can get his WB through the gate, that's a real pro :laughing:

Threads
I'd say BEWARE of the GeektoFreak. I've watched a lot of his video's. Have you ever checked out the condition of his lawns? I really like the one where he takes the gate apart so he can get his WB through the gate, that's a real pro :laughing:

Personally I think he has a lot of good information. But he mows lawns for a different type of customer than you and me, so some things he does are going to be different. He advertises in the old neighborhoods with small yards, you go after the customers with more money, larger yards, etc.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Personally I think he has a lot of good information. But he mows lawns for a different type of customer than you and me, so some things he does are going to be different. He advertises in the old neighborhoods with small yards, you go after the customers with more money, larger yards, etc.

Well you can think what you like but a professional isn't going to remove a clients gate so they can get there mower through. A professional isn't going to fight with a guy next door over him being on his property and use vulgar language and then post it online for all to see, especially when the neighbor is right. Plus as a professional your not going to take your little girls/kids to or on a job with you.

gbkd80

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well you can think what you like but a professional isn't going to remove a clients gate so they can get there mower through. A professional isn't going to fight with a guy next door over him being on his property and use vulgar language and then post it online for all to see, especially when the neighbor is right. Plus as a professional your not going to take your little girls/kids to or on a job with you.

Well being that I'm just a nobody homeowner and not in the business, I have to agree with you that the neighbor was technically right but he went about it all wrong. I mean that guy is in the minority. Rarely do people flip a lid like that for going over an inch of their property line, and also how does a landscaper or lawn care provider determine where a property line is anyway? They have to rely on the homeowner to tell them when they get the yard, right? On the flip side of things, it was unprofessional for G2F to flip out on him and continue it on but I guess his deal is that he vlogs his job and life so he put it up for everyone to see because it happened, so right or wrong he still posted it as part of what he does on his channel...

As far as the mower is concerned, I think you guys are right that I should keep my Honda and cross that bridge when I get there. The thing hasn't skipped a beat in 12 years which is hard to say about any other brand of mower I've had or used in my life. I think it's hard to use G2F as an example of the life expectancy of the Troy-Bilt since he does replace his every year but at the same time explains that the others he has are still fine, just not 'perfect' and he likes for his stuff to be in perfect condition, plus he's using it daily and making a living on it so it would get a hell of a lot more use than a guy like me who mows his own yard 1-2 times a week. The reviews I've just recently read have showed some of the same bad gas symptoms clogging the carb jets. I think I was more attracted to the front wheel drive option where my Honda is rear... Aside from that, just liked the way it looked like it cut and mulched...

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well being that I'm just a nobody homeowner and not in the business, I have to agree with you that the neighbor was technically right but he went about it all wrong. I mean that guy is in the minority. Rarely do people flip a lid like that for going over an inch of their property line, and also how does a landscaper or lawn care provider determine where a property line is anyway? They have to rely on the homeowner to tell them when they get the yard, right? On the flip side of things, it was unprofessional for G2F to flip out on him and continue it on but I guess his deal is that he vlogs his job and life so he put it up for everyone to see because it happened, so right or wrong he still posted it as part of what he does on his channel...

As far as the mower is concerned, I think you guys are right that I should keep my Honda and cross that bridge when I get there. The thing hasn't skipped a beat in 12 years which is hard to say about any other brand of mower I've had or used in my life. I think it's hard to use G2F as an example of the life expectancy of the Troy-Bilt since he does replace his every year but at the same time explains that the others he has are still fine, just not 'perfect' and he likes for his stuff to be in perfect condition, plus he's using it daily and making a living on it so it would get a hell of a lot more use than a guy like me who mows his own yard 1-2 times a week. The reviews I've just recently read have showed some of the same bad gas symptoms clogging the carb jets. I think I was more attracted to the front wheel drive option where my Honda is rear... Aside from that, just liked the way it looked like it cut and mulched...

The neighbor in the video was right, he was on his property without a doubt and as a professional who was in question he should have defused the problem and agreed with the neighbor, apologized and told him he was unaware that was the case and maybe offered a free cut of his property. As far as finding out where property lines are for a client that your going to be mowing for, that's a simple thing to do, I don't rely on the client / homeowner because the majority of them can't tell you where they are.

You go to your computer as I do and look up the County Appraisers office site and look up the clients address and you can see where the property lines are located, I do that before I ever start a job. You can look at the entire property, how many sq.ft. it is your dealing with, the house, out buildings, trees, fences, anything on the property it shows. With the address of the prospective client I can give an estimate over the phone. It's all public record.

Last edited:

KrashnKraka

Threads
I will tell you "geektofreak" is one of the people who keeps me inspired to do lawn care. :thumbsup:
]...]

Really! Sarcasm???

The guys a nutcase...an' publishing the fact!

... enuff 'said' :shocked:

KK
/ pulls on hard hat and dons shade6 sunnies