self propelled mower

fk60

Forum Newbie
Threads
looking to buy a self propelled mower....doesn't have to be new...wondering what would be some of the better ones out there? Would be used a lot on steeper banks back problems are forcing me to look for an easier way to mow the banks

Lrobby99

Threads
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't two-cycle be superior for running an engine on many steep slopes? And is it still a fact there aren't any?
As for what mower to choose, ask yourself what longevity you want out of it. I'm in the market too and would really like a Honda HRX217HYA. This is the Cadillac of self-propelled walk behind homeowner mowers.
But, the thing costs $700 bucks. It might last forever, but I don't want to mow forever!
Read the posts here. There are a lot of good designs out there, a lot of crappy ones too. Determine your budget, then research at that price point. And look for money back satisfaction guaranteed. And good luck!

Snapperfreak

Threads
True, 2cycles would be best for slopes but no one makes them anymore as far as i know. Of course there are good used ones to be found but who knows when one will pop up. The other option for a 4cycle mowed on slopes would be one with an oil pump so it stays lubricated no matter what kind of hill you're on. I haven't shipped around for those but I do know they'll run u more than a mower without an oil pump. Best bang for the buck, in my opinion, would be find a good used 2cycle. It'll probably be much less than a new 4cycle with oil pump.

Lrobby99

Threads
Somebody with lots of mower experience should point the OP to something known to be dependable. I see a lot of bad things about Chinese engined Toros, or example. Are Snappers any good?

Snapperfreak

Threads
Snappers are great. Older ones came with three different 2cycle engines: wisconsin robin, Tecumseh and briggs. By far the wisconsin robin is the best, usually referred to as bulletproof. Long lasting, dependable, cuts through serious grass. Only downside is parts are hard to come by, especially carb parts but if u can find one in good running condition u can maintain it and it will serve u well. The briggs and tec I've never used so can't knock them too much, I just know the WR is awesome. They were available on snappers from the mid '80s through the mid '90s and were either on extra tough or commercial decks. Here's a picture of mine for reference.

image-3980371450.jpg