Self Propelled Lawn Boy's - Need Some Schooling

intruder1500

Threads
Hey guys, saw a 8237 for sale pretty cheap, figuring it needs work. Not sure if this is a "dog drive" or not. Its got the steel grooved rollers that push on the rear wheels. My Dad had one of these years back, but I never used it. This drive set up work OK on hills and maybe damp grass (got a curtain drain that drains way back there). Thanks. Mike
I can't help you with that vintage ….pre 1983. You can check on Parts Tree however for a schematic of parts of the unit.

https://www.partstree.com/search/?t...walk+behind+mower+1978+sn+800000001+899999999

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Usually the rim drive propelled deal is dirt simple, belt drive off the side PTO to a cross shaft to the drivers. Not on this mower. Lots of components with this and in general not to beefy. I'd avoid the mower as a self propelled (propeller?) but would still be a decent push Lawn Boy with a bonus if the drive works - I think.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Good luck, Mike. If it's REALLY cheap, make sure you check it out closely before showing your cash.

I hadn't thought about what Bill52 said, where the steel rollers slipped against the rear wheels when wet. Most RWD mowers have this kind of set up, I guess because it is cheaper and a little simpler. Slipping can't happen with inside driven wheels like the one I have since it is gear driven. There are lots of these by the more premium brands like Toro.

Milanomike

Threads
I'll probably hold off as this one hasn't run in a while and will no doubt have issues.