Seeking DIY advice on Craftsman 917.376542 push mower

blairclocker

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post here, I joined because I can't figure out how to install a spring that holds the side door shut - the door that covers the ejection port, if that's what you call it.
Couple of days ago I bought a new side door (it's on my avatar, solid black) and I had a hard time getting the old one off. I had to remove the pivot pin and the spring, but now I can't figure out how to install the same spring back on the pivot pin - is there a special tool? One end of the spring obviously needs to push against the steel frame while the other end needs to push against the door to hold it shut. But how do I compress or twist the spring in place long enough to insert the pin through the door & frame holes, and through the spring?

I'm attaching a picture of the door and spring, from the manual. The door is part #33, and the spring is part #42.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• SIDE DOOR SPRING DETAIL_1.jpg
    SIDE DOOR SPRING DETAIL_1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 6

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easiest way to fix is to remove bracket #36. Assemble cover, spring, rod and bracket to be one unit. Now reattach this assembly to the deck.

blairclocker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Easiest way to fix is to remove bracket #36. Assemble cover, spring, rod and bracket to be one unit. Now reattach this assembly to the deck.
Duh!! Thanks for that...I should have thought of that! Much appreciated!