Sears/MTD Rechargeable Mower Wont Start

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Model 247.37048.0

Wont Start

I get solid green light not blinking on battery charger. I charged since yesterday afternoon and still nothing. What else could it be if it not the battery? A new battery is $150. Is it worth it?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What in the world are you using for a battery? Is this just a lawn mower? When I buy a new mower battery it is less then 20 dollars and it is rechargeable. You really don't have much information what you have. My guess is just a 12 volt mower battery. Frist thing would be check how much voltage is at the battery, If you have 12 volts or better. Do you have all levers and seat in the right places to start? Next check battery cables and conections. Then the starter solenoid.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is walk behind 48 volt rechargeable.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is walk behind 48 volt rechargeable.

OK now the whole thing makes more sense. As recall working on electric operated equipment you want no grounds to the chassis. They work a lot different fuel then operated equipment where they use the chassis as a ground. If you have a ground repair that frist before you do anything else. What are the driving this with a EV1 system or a resister system?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I dont know. How do I tell?

I went to the Sears web site and looked at the parts diagram. Looks like not very much to the electronics on this mower. It looks like 4 12 volt batterys to get 48 volts, battery charger, switch on the handle, and motor. If you don't have one get a multi-voltage tester. I have seen cheap ones for around 5 dollars. It looks to me about all you can test is see if your batterys are puting out 48 volts. Looks like everthing is a sealed unit like the switch and motor. As I said before make sure the chassis ISN'T grounded to the battery. If I had a wireing diagram I could tell more.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I went to the Sears web site and looked at the parts diagram. Looks like not very much to the electronics on this mower. It looks like 4 12 volt batterys to get 48 volts, battery charger, switch on the handle, and motor. If you don't have one get a multi-voltage tester. I have seen cheap ones for around 5 dollars. It looks to me about all you can test is see if your batterys are puting out 48 volts. Looks like everthing is a sealed unit like the switch and motor. As I said before make sure the chassis ISN'T grounded to the battery. If I had a wireing diagram I could tell more.

OK I am only getting power to the battery when the charger is hooked and the battery indicator is showing one red dot meaning dead battery.

Here's the model of it under MTD.

18a-188-799
1d219k30735

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK I am only getting power to the battery when the charger is hooked and the battery indicator is showing one red dot meaning dead battery.

Here's the model of it under MTD.

18a-188-799
1d219k30735

Are you testing this with a meter without one you have no idea what is happening or going on. If so how much voltage, because I would think you would need close to 50 volts to charge the batteries. With the charger off what is the voltage reading? If I was just to make a wild guess which could be wrong without voltage reading, it sound like the batteries are bad. Also is the chassis grounded to the battery's you never told me that yet ?? I will check MTD parts diagrams to see if anything looks differant?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you testing this with a meter without one you have no idea what is happening or going on. If so how much voltage, because I would think you would need close to 50 volts to charge the batteries. With the charger off what is the voltage reading? If I was just to make a wild guess which could be wrong without voltage reading, it sound like the batteries are bad. Also is the chassis grounded to the battery's you never told me that yet ?? I will check MTD parts diagrams to see if anything looks differant?

I cant find anything thats grounded to the chassis. I couldnt remove the motor cover to take peak inside. No I havent used multimeter yet.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I cant find anything thats grounded to the chassis. I couldnt remove the motor cover to take peak inside. No I havent used multimeter yet.

With out the multimeter it is just a guessing game and that would be to check for grounds also. That is NO grounds to the chassis you want. If have a ground to the chassis that means a short circuit. I will try to explain this to you the best I can.

Everything that uses electric has two different circuits. It is positive and negative power. On most gas powered equipment they use the chassis as a big wire for the negative power. Now on anything that is powered with electric they don't use the chassis as as a big wire but run wires in place of the chassis ground. They run the two circuits in there own wires positive power and negative power. Any time the chassis is grounded to the battery you will have big problems on any electric powered equipment that I have ever worked on.