Sears 42" Deck Belt too short

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only cross I trust is the Gates interchange site
They used to list all of the applications for each belt but apparently dissabled this to make it harder for back yard ebay/amazon vendors to pretend they know what the are selling .
A 4L belt length will be slightly smaller than an equivalent A section belt .
The key to it is the "effective length ".
Now the OP did not mention if they were in the USA ( outside circumference measurement ) , or the rest of the planet , ( inside belt circuumference ) .
If the latter then his belt will be 1.825" too short which on a belt under 100 " long is more than enough to cause premaure failure.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect the OP ordered a 1/2 x 82 generic off the shelf standard length belt, which will actually measure 81 1/2 if measured

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I suspect the OP ordered a 1/2 x 82 generic off the shelf standard length belt, which will actually measure 81 1/2 if measured
That is if he is lucky.

To be honest here nearly every generic v-belt has up to one inch short in the half inch width and nearly two inches in the 5/8 widths. IT got so bad that I now primary order and install OEM belts.

And Gates I have received 1/2 inch width belts that were two inches short using the same spec as the package indicates.

The size I posted is OD. And even a half inch short than spec'd for the mower will cause problems. Small the OD the more it causes problems.

TheBishop

Threads
Can you link to the belt you bought?
How did it fail? Pic?

Usually when someone brings me a mower and say the new belt failed within minutes of installing i usually find belt was routed wrong or on the wrong side of a belt guide. If it was the correct belt and it seemed too short and it failed quickly i would double check how installed
I was cutting the grass for at least 20 minutes before it failed.

TheBishop

Threads
I might order a Kelvar deck belt 88.5"

A little longer might a difference