Sealed Bearing on 400S Spindle?

CuttinGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member ( I usually lurk for awhile:). Can anybody confirm a 400S has sealed bearing on mower deck spindles? Model 5901705

Pace Inc is the distributor for Ferris. The tech service manager insists the 400S has sealed bearings. And yet all 3 spindles have zerks. Moreover the operators manual shows 3 zerks for grease.

I just bought the mower used with 22 hours. My first Z turn.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Parts list calls put a 5204 2RS bearing which is a sealed bearing

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No 5204-2RS is a double bearing. I just recently installed a similar bearing in a JD idler pulley. That bearing was a 6006-RK version.
1652747164497.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you
I stand corrected
Although most of the sectioned diagrams show Idlers with double row bearings I am yet to come across one less than 40 years old with a double row in it

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thank you
I stand corrected
Although most of the sectioned diagrams show Idlers with double row bearings I am yet to come across one less than 40 years old with a double row in it
Like you I don't see the double row used on lawn care equipment as a standard. Most of the lower [cheaper] end ones uses single row captive bearings where you have to replace the whole pulley. The ZTR that I found the 6006 on was a JD Z925A which is a commercial type. JD has switch that pulley to an open design which causes problems so if I can I repair the older solid design. Now this double row will require a press to get them out and in.

I do see this type used quite a bit in ATVs and UTVs front spindles but just not in mower use so it is a little surprising to see it here. I did just run into a Gravely with similar spindles . Just couldn't get the blades off to even get a look at the bearings as the Gravely ipl doesnt indicate which bearings are used. It going to a pain either with those pin wrench spindle nuts. I would had to make up a pin wrench for them and hope they are not rusted in place.