Scotts S1642 Won't Turn Over

shard77

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member looking for some advice.

I have a Scotts S1642 riding mower that is about 10 years old. The unit has been struggling to start (i.e. Slow cranking but eventually catching) for several months now. In the past when I've had problems, I've "topped off" the battery with my charger and the machine has started ok. When I've been unable to get it to start it the past, it would usually make a audible clicking sound, but refuse to turn over. Now it's doing absolutely nothing when I turn the key.

Does this sound like a starter solenoid? I picked a generic one up at Lowes this morning on the off chance that it might be the issue. I'm a novice when it comes to these types of things so any help would be appreciated. If it does sound like the solenoid, does anyone know where I can find it on my machine.

Thanks, in advance, for the advice.

Last edited:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
The clicking means the battery was getting low and not fully engaging the Pinion Gear, and doing nothing usually means the battery is comletely dead, not usually a problem with the Starter Motor.

I'm not saying it definitely isn't the Starter Motor though, it could be the solenoid, but I'd probably try changing the battery first.

shard77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply.

The battery is actually only a month old and I put it on my charger last night and fully charged it.

I tried the machine this morning and still got nothing.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Could be a number of things but if battery is good and well charged and still no clicking then I would look at the safety switches as they are the next thing that is likely to give trouble on a machine of this vintage. You should have a switch under the Seat, on the cutter deck and on the brake pedal and maybe even one on the gear box to make sure the machine is in neutral when starting.
If one of these switches fails you will not get any power to the solenoid and therefore no click. When you find the switches bridge out the connectors on the back and try to start. When you find the faulty one replace it do not leave the bridge in.
You might be able to find a wiring diagram on line that will help you find the switches.

taxidermist

Threads
Set Parking brake so you dont have to sit on seat to start.Take a tester or test light and put the ground to the batt. and the power to the cable coming from batt. to solenoid.See if you have power. Then turn the key and check the other side cable from solenoid to starter. If you have no power try jumping the solenoid while turning the key if it starts then the solenoid is shot.

Rob

Hammer49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Help please! I have a 2001 Scotts 1642 that won't start. The battery is strong and gas is fresh. I was concerned about the solenoid and ignition switch so I jumped both by connecting the battery to the starter motor. Outcome, lots of spinning but no turnover. Thoughts? Thanks in advance...trying to save money by fixing myself if possible.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To shard 77 &hammer. Shard do whist hammer did and see if the starter turns over. If it does you will have to work backwards too find where you are losing your 12 volts.
Hammer you have a bad bedix gear on the starter which will need to be replaced.

Hammer49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets! Question, is the bendix the same thing as the starter? Also, given that before bypassing the ignition switch and solenoid, there was nothing happening when I attempted to start it normally (key in, clutch pressed in...nothing, no clicking...no sound at all)... Could something else also be wrong? Or does the started cause everything else not to work?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, the bendixx is the gear on top of the starter which engages with the ring gear on the flywheel to turn the engine over. If you hook 12 V to the starter and it just spins you need to replace just the starter gear. You will have to back track with a test light if you get nothing when you turn the key. Could be solenoid, safety switches (there may be as many as five) or the key switch. Try putting 12v to the small wire on the solenoid (if it is a three terminal) and see if it cranks. If it does then you have a good solenoid and you will keep checking back from there.

Hammer49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, thanks! When I hook the 12v up to the starter, the be six and fly wheel spin but no ignition every happens.